Why did my goldfish die?

I had him forever and I'll admit, I barely ever cleaned his tank. But today I put him in a new bowl with spring water, one of those japanese bamboo plants, and a few rocks. and hes DEAD NOW! Did he go into shock or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Pets

• things happen...its noones fault...get a new one
    ready4mybaby

Answer by ready4mybaby at 8:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Did you test the PH level of the water before you put him in the bowl?
    LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• His existing water had his beneficial bacteria and all in it - a sudden switch to brand new water and all is more than they can handle much of the time.

I'm sorry you lost your fish :(
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:50 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Awww I'm sorry you lost your fish..did you let the water sit till it was room temperature before you put him in?
    Anonymous

• Yes it was at room temp. i agree with AAAmama- maybe it was all too much for him to take at once.
    Anonymous

• Probably. You can't just completely change any fishes water like that. That should be common sense for a fish owner
    Anonymous

• Yah, turns out (since I killed mine once also) that they CAN NOT handle a 100 percent water change most of the time... Even when you clean their tank. Also, if you use tap water, you have to use a de-chlorinator. And I'm talking from experience, I promise. :D We have a 125 gallon tank, a 55 gallon tank, a 45 gallon tank, and a 25 gallon tank. :D LOL
    srbeusk

Answer by srbeusk at 4:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2010