Need some advise before I register. I plan to breastfeed and have the Medela pump. But Im wondering what seems to be the best bottles to buy when we do bottle feed? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• don't start pumping untill after your milk comes in, the baby needs the colostrum you produce those first few days. i use the bottle that say they are for breastfed babies (they are more like the breast). i think they are playtex. sometimes bottles can confuse babies, so it's recomended to start bottles between 2-4 weeks of age. i started within the first week and my boy is doing fine. the lactation consultants at the hospital will help you out alot and you should get alot of free stuff since you're bfing.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• try to avoid pumpig for a lil. but i would go with the medela bottles. but again dont pump or introduce bottle until breastfeeding is going well
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• your baby will tell you. They reject some and take others. Mine didn't take a bottle at all so it's a kind of figure it out once they're here kind of thing.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 8:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i think there are so many good ones. we used NUK bottles and then later switched to avent. my son was EBF for a couple months then breastfed and pumped while at work, then started supplementing with formula at 6.5 mos. my son never had any trouble with NUK or avent bottles. i DO wish that the bottles we used for him to drink out of would have fit into the pump itself. i had a lansinoh pump, which had kind of narrow bottles, so then we would always have to transfer the milk to different bottles because we didn't have nipples for those, and that meant washing 2x the bottles. not fun :-)

i agree with the others that it's good to wait a bit before you start pumping. i'd say at least 3 weeks.

oh you might also find that no one pays attention to your registry and just gets whatever they want. lol. that was the case for me anyway.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i have had people tell me they like the dr. brown bottles too.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i used the avent bottles and pump for all my kids
    ihave10kids

Answer by ihave10kids at 9:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I used the avent bottles for my son when I had to have a bottle for him. I think they have an adaptor so you can use the avent bottles with other pumps. . . I can't remember because it was a couple years ago when I was looking.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Both of mine completely refused bottles of any kind. A friend of mine had good luck with the breastflow bottles so I might buy one this time to try it, but I don't know, I might just give up and not even bother with bottles at all this time too.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• My daughter used a soothie pacifier in the hospital, so I got the soothie bottles. I BF until 13 months and she used bottles with pumped milk when I was at work & she had no problems with nipple confusion.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2009