how to get a bottle off a toddler?

My son is 15 months and he is still lack on to that bottle. I cant get him to sleep without it. I try taking the bottle once he falls a sleep but later on in the night he wakes up looking for it. I dont know if I can handle him without the bottle because thats how I get him to stop crying. He has nothing else that comfort him. I'm pregnant and dont need to carry two bottles for both of them. Help me! I have try everything and nothing is working.

i_am_ur_kittie

Asked by i_am_ur_kittie at 8:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• haha you mean toddler off a bottle? I just stopped giving it to him. I would give him a cup of milk at night instead when I first stopped and gradually stopped doing that as well. He will get over it fast just make a decision and stick with it don't jump back and forth with it.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 8:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i think when hes ready he will take himself off. or you can do it gradually- add less milk, maybe put water in the bottle instead. do you give him a paci? i forgot how i took my daughter off the bottle at bedtime- but my son just recently refused to take it at bedtime so he basically cut the habit himself! and for that, i'm lucky
    Anonymous

• I would make the switch to a sippy cup with WATER in it. Its not good to have milk or formula sitting on their teeth all night. There are plenty of sippys with soft nipples on them and that might make it easier. You just need to throw it (bottle) away and be consistent. I know 15 mo is little but just say "no more bottles your a big boy now" and dont look back!! He probably wont make a fuss for that long, the first couple of nights will probably be the worst though so just remember that. DONT GO BACK once you have made the switch, you can do it!!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 9:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• What I did with my daughter was I just took it away 2 weeks before she turned 1 and as long as she didnt see it she was fine. I would throw them away and it probably will take him a couple of nites but he will be ok try a sippy cup just leave that with him and if he dosnt want it then fine it will stay there but dont give into a bottle. U can try and give him milk before bed in a sippy see how that works It will be hard I wish u luck. I would just get rid of the bottle cause it real be harder when the baby comes cause he will see that baby with a bottle and take it away. My sisters kids r 12 mths apart excatly they have the same birthday my niece always takes her sisters bottle away cause she didnt have time to get over the bottle.
    Anonymous

• My son was quite attached to his bottle at 15 months too. I took it away at 16 months and replaced it with a sippy cup and a glow worm. It was really only rough for 4 nights. To get him through the crying I Ferberized him. I went in and soothed him by rubbing his back and talking to him at increased intervals. First at 2 min, then 5, then 8, 10, 15, and then every 20 min until he fell asleep. It never took him more than 2 hours to fall asleep and in less than a week I had him weaned from the bottle and the pacifier this way.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I haven't tried, we're almost at 15 months (I loved that you posted this- I was going to post the exact same thing!) I had a friend who decided it was time and threw away all of the bottles. So, when he wouldn't go down she kind of freaked out. BUT it took all of 3 nights to totally be off of them (that is, until the new baby came along :-\ ) They still do a cup of milk before nap and bed, but it's not a bottle, it's a sippy. I'm dreading it. Good luck!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i introduced sippy cups for a couple months, then one day i just took her bottles in front of her and bagged them up and took them away. she was around 13 months. the sippy cups were hard to get her to use so i used straws. i just left the bottles put away, and she realized that she was not getting them back. it only took maybe a day or so for her to be ok with it. good luck with the transistion and God bless:)
    h_anne88

Answer by h_anne88 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I didn't read the comments of the other moms but, but I got some good advice from my son's doctor. Sorry if it was mentioned already. Go to a store with him and let him pick out a toy for bedtime, like a soft, musical one or just a teddy bear. Keep it in his bed and only let him take that to sleep with him, and no bottle. Of course try to give him a good snack before bed so he stays full throughout the night. The point is to give him a new security item. So far it's working with my LO he has a baby tad that plays lullaby's for 10 minutes.
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 6:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2009