6 year old with EXTREME attachment to mom

Hi ! Perhaps someone, somewhere has some thoughts for us...we have a 6 year old boy (1st grade) who is extremely attached to me lately(and I do mean extreme). He's my shadow all day. If I get up from the living room and go to the kitchen, he's right behind me no matter what he is doing. He tells us he is afraid I am going to leave and not come back. I have asked him over and over where this is coming from (I have never left him and not come back!) and he says "I don't know" - apparently there are no kids at school that have lost a mom or divorced as far as he tells me. He won't go on playdates, won't go anywhere with dad...nothing. I have tried everything from tough love to sympathy. We have tried to take "baby steps" of trust, etc. Next week I'm thinking we are going to a professional...it's that bad. It started this bad about 2 mo. ago (although he's never liked being alone to play outdoors, etc). Please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Look at any changes in his life. My first thought is has anyone close to you died recently? Can you ask the teacher if a classmate has lost a parent to death or divorce who may have even briefly talked to your son about it? Are you pregnant? Did you recently move? Has a pet recently died? Did you or DH get a new job or change in work hours? I think you are right to try to get to the bottom of this new fear, but remember kids see life differently than we do. Something you haven't given a second thought to may be what has him worried. Oh even a tv show or movie where a parent left the family or died. Just keep reassuring him, when you go to a different room just say I'm going to the....and I'll be right back every time you leave his side and the more times he sees that you are not going far or for long he will see that you are not going to just up and leave him.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2009