House churches/organic churches, etc

was wondering if anyone has had experience with house church/organic church, etc--if so what did you think of them--how did you find one. I am tired of the legalism, criticisms, etc in a "churchy" church and am looking for something different.

jdmyangel

Asked by jdmyangel at 9:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No matter what kind of church you go to they will not be perfect. All of them judge people and think they are best. None are perfect, you just need to try to find one that trusts in God and His word. It isn't always easy to find the right one. Just don't give up.
    ifollowjesus

Answer by ifollowjesus at 9:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• No church is perfect but i personally don't like the ones that are in homes or movie theatres for that matter. They tend to be non-denominal which is fine but they tend to make me uncomfortable because they tend to be more touchy feely liking to hug and that makes me extremely uncomfortable.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't say all of them judge people ifollowjesus :-) There are many churches that are so judgement-free that it gets the judgemental ones all up in a tizzy.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I'm gonna say something that you may not like. Often we percieve it to be judgement when they are mearly stating the truth according to God's word. The purpose of the Church, any church, isn't to make you feel good, it is to speak the truth, in love, but speak the truth.

I find house churches too interested in making people feel comfortable, too interested in providing an emotional experience. Also they tend to be very small, that means everyone know's everyone elses business. Also, if you have kids often there is very little offered for kids because they tend to be small, there isn't the reasourses to do much.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I have only had indirect contact with a few through Christian friends who joined them. I can only comment on the effects I saw those churches having on these friends lives. In one case it was awful, the church used a lot of extreme scare tactics, bullied the members into giving things up (conveniently to the church leaders) & doing a lot of cultish stuff. I was glad to see these friends leave after a few years. In another case the small church met in a rented room & wasn't affiliated with any major denomination, but it was a wonderful experience for my friend. The group was friendly, supportive, encouraged personal & group exploration of faith issues, in short was everything one might hope for in fellowship. I am glad my friend found this church & she still attends & is quite active. So I guess my opinion is they can be great, but they can also be scary bad.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• people in church are hypricriical, hurting, sinful people. that's why we all need to be there to learn Gods work and to learn to get along
    mamakat12

Answer by mamakat12 at 7:32 AM on Nov. 19, 2009