i think i pissed my parents off buy you know what, idc anymore

ok so my mom keeps by brother's 3 kids 3 days a week and since both my parents are smokers they go outside to do it and not around his kids, which is great BUT i went over there today with my 3y.o and 3 month old kids, well my dad decides to light one up there in the living room while i'm sitting there holding the baby, i was like "wtf?!" i'm getting so sick of my kids being treated different. needless to say i got our stuff together and left, well my mom called me and asked what's up and i said " why do y'all smoke around my dd (the 3y.o) but when my brother's kids are here you go outside?, why are my kids treated differently" she went on about how they're not any different blah blah blah well dad says b/c "your dd is used to it" wtf? a 3y/o isn't used to cigarette smoke, i don't smoke and dh don't inside the house, i'm not taking my kids back...am i wrong or are they?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• What a terrible situation they've put you in! If I were you, I would let them know that I would not be visiting unless they respect your wishes. I agree with the other comment, he is being selfish. Maybe they should come to your place, and if he has to smoke, have him go outdoors - your house, your rules.
    Anonymous

• They are so wrong. Has your dad treated you differently from your brother while growing up? Parents aren't perfect, and sometimes they refuse to see that they have "favorites".

Shame on him for lighting up and shame on your mom for not sticking up for you.
    Anonymous

• It is soooooo hard for hardcore smokers to understand why us non smokers hate it so much.

YES they are wrong. No grandparent should be willing to put their grand kids into second hand smoke. I think it is incredibly selfish.

Have you asked them not to smoke around them? Just tell them how important it is to you and how you value their heath above all else.

If they continue, then they dont deserve a visit.

I have to deal with this a lot with my inlaws ;( It stinks...literally.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• no i wasn't treated different than him growing up but as adults yes we have been, i think my dad sees me as a failure b/c i'm currently unemployed and my brother and his wife make great money and have a nice big house and i live in a trailor and my brother and his wife used to not let the kids come to my parent's house b/c of the smoking but ran out of options for a baby sitter..i've never kept my kids away but i'm changing my mind
    Anonymous

• well if your husband smokes maybe your dad just doesnt understand..tell him that he doesnt do it in the house. Ask your dad to step outside next time your kids are over
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Maybe it had nothing to do with your kids, and them being treated differently, maybe they just thought that you wouldn't care, or wouldn't say anything, especially since your SO smokes. I think that is probably why your dad said your DD is used to it.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• they know my dh dosen't smoke in our house
    Anonymous

• Ok this might just be me. But with my parents smoking while I grew up and dont any more regrades of them doing it while youe there or not it still will smell. Its in the walls the couch everything. I would either leave and get over it or ask them or keep your kids out side. while there. I see where your dad said they are use to it but try to explain your husband does it outside but then again it is their house. If you need to keep them away then do so. AND SEE WHERE THAT TAKES YOU. bEST OF LUCK.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 10:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i know moma22angels, my point is that my brother's kids are treated as if they're better than my kids
    Anonymous