When is it okay to turn my son in a forward facing seat for the car??? he weighs 22lbs and is only 6 months old!!!

I was told by the Pediatrician to turn him around...but all my mom friends think that's crazy and i'm getting a lot of grief for it!

bunnymom2

Asked by bunnymom2 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check your state's laws...but it's supposed to be one year AND 20 pounds. Reason being that the spine hasn't developed to the point to sustain an impact if there's a crash. Turning too early risks a broken neck, leading to paralysis or death.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• No!! Don't turn him around until he has no room for his legs.
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• One year AND twenty lbs.
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Depends on the state. im in Illinois and my car seat manual says it is illegal for you to turn your child forward facing until they hit 25 lbs and a year old. It is safest for them to be rear facing.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 10:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Your PED told you to turn him? Why even at one its not that great of an idea to turn them. Its not just about weight its about neck muscles and all kindsa stuff. Rear facing is safer longer, ESP if the child is under one. Id fully reccomend Just leave him rear facing.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 10:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Unless your pedi is a Car Seat Tech, don't listen to him about car seats. He needs to be at least 12 mos and 20 lbs before being turned forward. Keep in mind that that is the minimum. You can keep him RF to the limits of the seat. You probably need to move him from an infant seat to a convertible seat, unless your infant seat holds higher then 22 lbs, but convertible seats can be used RF as well. Depending on which seat you use, convertibles range from a 35lb limit RF up to a 45 limit for RF. So no, I would NOT put ANY 6 month old child forward facing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I agree with all the moms on this one. Rear facing car seats are the best for children even if they meet the standards. I would keep your kid in rear facing at least until he is one because most states required 1 and 22+ lbs. My son is almost 18months and is about 23-24lbs and we are keeping him rear facing for as long as possible
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 6:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Go by your state laws, do not go by what your friends or the Pedi says. In Michigan it is 20 lbs AND a year old. The child must be over a year old at at least 20 lbs to be in a forward facing seat. Don't tell the state, but we switched my son at 10-11 months old, but he was already over the 20lb mark.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• The legal minimum is one year and 20 lbs, whichever comes last. You also must follow the directions for the car seat, and no seat allows forward facing before a year old (some also have height minimums for forward facing). Doctors are not required to know car seat safety or even law, so they are often a horrible resource in this area. You will need a convertible car seat to get your son to the legal minimum of one year rear facing.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 9:47 AM on Nov. 25, 2009