My 14 mo old hits his head every time we tell him no. Is this normal?

My son is almost 15 months old and so I know we're just getting into that hideous age, but I'm concerned about the number of times he's been bouncing his head off of everything. And I mean everything- the stove, the floor, the couch, the wall, laying down, sitting, flinging himself backwards...and I don't yell. I don't do Time Outs yet, though they're about to start (and fast!) We haven't had to cross that bridge. But, now, if I even blink too quickly or something, he just flips out and throws himself down. He's just getting over an illness, so I've been assuming that he still doesn't feel well. But the poor little guy has bruises all over his forehead! For the most part, I just ignore it and don't pay attention to him, but there are those times when he's about to hurt himself and I have to intervene. What do I do and is this normal??

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter used to do this. she used to bang her head or smack herself when she was mad. i was told to just ignore it unless she was going to really hurt herself. Her doctor said that if I ignore it she would figure out that she wasn't getting attention and that it hurt. Now she hardly ever does it.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• my daughter did this alot. she would fling back really hard and hit her head on the floor. and she would hit her head on the walls and coffee table, anything that she could. so i think it is something that they just do, to throw a fit. but i would ask the dr. about it just in case bc you mentioned he's getting over an illness so it could be something more serious. good luck and God bless :)
    h_anne88

Answer by h_anne88 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i think its a sign to start time outs.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• This is a sign of both growing independence and complete frustration with A) Not completely understanding YOU and B) YOU not understand him and C) Not getting what he wants. It is completely normal! I would continue ignoring it, if he isn't hurting himself and intervene when you need to. Otherwise I would really be watching out for your mouth and face....my oldest would do this and I would never see it coming and he would headbutt me right in the mouth! OUCH! I would end up with a fat lip and everything! Not cool, time outs maybe in order! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:52 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• My son used to hit himself when we told him no too. We just ignored it and now he doesnt do it anymore. My daughter has, recently, started biting herself when we tell her no. Im hoping that its just a phase like with my son.
    MomOf2AmaznKids

Answer by MomOf2AmaznKids at 10:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• My son is has been doing this for a few months and right now he is 12 months old. If we take something away from him that he shouldn't have or if we tell him no he will head butt the floor, couch, pillows, or if we put him in his crib or playpen he will head butt that too!! I asked the doctor and he said to ignore him, and make sure you put him someplace where he won't hurt himself (like carpeted floor or away from furniture)

Oh and he head butts us too when we hold him. And he's usually not mad, its just automatic when he does it. To him its like a greeting! I warn anyone who picks him up to watch out! :)

Right now its normal to me!! It's all my son does.
    Jeckers

Answer by Jeckers at 12:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Wow, that would scare me to death. My kids didn't do that./ I am wondering why they would do that...it would hurt,wouldn't it? My kids were really not into pain. They avoided it. I hope it gets better for you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I thought I was the only one. My 2 year old constantly does this. He did it so insanely on the carpet he had rugburn on his head!
    jujubean7374

Answer by jujubean7374 at 1:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Look into sensory processing disorder.
    mcqueenmom

Answer by mcqueenmom at 1:26 AM on Nov. 8, 2009