I need help with keeping my son out of things!

My 11 month old gets into everything. He isnt walking yet. But it seems like no matter how many times I tell him no and redirect him to a different activity or to a different part of the room he will go right back to whatever he was getting into. I try to be stern and tell him no, but try to keep my cool. But we will go through this sometimes literly 10 times one after another. Hes at the dvd player opening it. Or throwing dvds on the floor or trying to poke his head into the litter box or dumping the cat water. You name it. I have my house baby proofed the best that I can. Any suggestions. What do you do?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 10:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep at it, it can take awhile for him to really understand. You are doing what you should, and eventually he'll get it. He's only 11 months old, just keep telling him NO in a stern voice and moving him away from what he's getting into....do it every single time.....over and over. I know it seems frustrating, but I promise he'll get it. GL
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 9:49 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My DS is the same I keep everything I dont want him to play with locked up everything else I just put away at nap time or if he throws it on the ground I throw it back at him and then he'll put it back on the shelf. Im trying to teach my son to put things back once hes done with it he kinda has the idea but it still ends up on the floor.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I have a dd who is and has been for a while a little mess maker! I had to skip the whole baby proofing stage and completly renovate my house for her.

I put up doors so that I could keep her out of certain areas. I use baby gates to keep them out of areas that would have things like a litter box in them.

I put everything up high and have locks on other things that can not be put up high.

Sometimes she finds a "whole" in the system. But for the most part I have her figured out. lol.

I know you said you baby proofed...but you may have to go even further and create even more "safe" areas. Its hard, but it just means our kids are outgoing and adventurous! LOL! Just looking at the bright side. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:06 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I live in a small 2 bedroom apt. And the doorway between my living room and kitchen is huge and I cant find a baby gate to fit it to keep him away from the litter box. And as for the cd and dvd shelves. I just dont have anywhere else to put them but in the living room. Theres not much out that he could get hurt on, but lots of expensive stuff that could get damaged.lol What gets me is that he knows he is doing wrong when I say no he will either crawl faster or he will stop look at me and smile and then go after it. Just drives me crazy after a while
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Pick your battles and baby-proof your house. People think a child will learn if you tell them no enough times or redirect them. It will work when they are old enough to understand the dangers, consequences, cause and effect, all of those cognitive development things. So, put the stuff away you don't want him getting into. Move the litterbox so he can't get to it, put the dvds away and out of his reach as well as the player. Your life will be much simpler. They thrive on positive reinforcement. Put the things down at his level that he is allowed to have. Remove all fragile and special nick-nacks, etc... They are only little once. Enjoy it and the change will give you peace of mind.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2009