need puppy help

can anyone help me on how to train my little 4month old snown ball puppy im at the end of my rope.I buy puppy pads all the time and she is still not train to let me know that she wants to go potty.HELP

sweetie44

Asked by sweetie44 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Pets

• All i did was watch the dog carefully and if they start to "do their buisness" through them outside or wherever..litter box, And tell them NO YOU GO HERE!!

they get it eventually, all the pads do is teach them to go in the house... in my opinion
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Get rid of the puppy pads asap. They are a waste of money and only confuse the dog. I would recommend crate training and getting the puppy on a schedule. Take him out 10 to 15 mintues after he eats,drinks or plays. Take him to the same spot every time and when he goes give him a treat as a reward along with praise. If the puppy has an accident you can not punish him if you did not catch him in the act because the dog has already forgotten. If you do catch him then you should get him outside asap to let him finish. you can get after him clap your hands or give him a stern no.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I'm with KyliesMom5!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:04 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• KyliesMom5 has got it down. The only thing I would add is that when the pup does its business, give it a name. "Good boy, go pee!" and then give treats. This way, further down the road, the dog will understand "go pee" (or whatever word you use) and will be able to do it on command. I did this so that when we go on rides the dogs will do their biz before getting into the car, or if we're in public I can show them where to go rather than have them pee anywhere on the sidewalk.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 10:47 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• We did kennel training. 90% of the time you keep them in the kennel. When you let them out, you take him outside first thing. After a week you lessen the time in the kennel. After about three weeks, you shouldn't even need the kennel. Depends on how smart the dog is (or how not stubborn, some are just stubborn).
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 1:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Oh almost forgot. If you don't have a kennel, a small area of the house gated off can work too. But keep it small. Then work into a bigger space. Found this technique in a training book.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 1:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Thanks so much Ladys im going to try the kennel training.WISH ME LUCK
    sweetie44

Answer by sweetie44 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2009