Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to cover my coffe table in family photographs, what should I put over the pictures to keep them protected?

The pictures need to covered or coated in something that would protect them from water and everyday wear.

Answer Question

Asked by MoMoBear at 11:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

Level 4 (50 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • a glass cover would be good

    Answer by Deathlilly at 12:07 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • epoxy, or a sheet of glass

    Answer by LuminousMom at 11:22 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • Polyurathane, but check at your store because (I am not certain) but you need a "pourable" kind.

    Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • Plexiglass! A plus to that is......when cleaning (or with children playing) it wont brake as easy as glass!

    Answer by momtopreemie521 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • Great Idea!

    Answer by Jezture at 1:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • You can get a piece of tempered glass from a glass shop that's cut to your exact specifications. The tempered stuff won't break as easily, and they'll round the edges off. My folks did that with all their old desks and now with all their coffee/end tables in their living room and it's been fantastic.

    They had asked about plexiglass. They were told that it scratches really easily, and with my two nephews that just wasn't an option. It's also much lighter, and wouldn't stay in place as well as the glass does.

    Answer by kestrelscall at 10:28 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

  • The Mod Podge stuff you would put on it to decoupage it on the coffee table in the first place should be good enough, but the plexi glass would assure protection and give you a nice shiny look.

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

  • shilak
    or a sheet of glass.

    Answer by AmaliaD at 3:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

  • With the glass which is one option you will end up with grime & liquids getting under it if things are spilled; as happens with (and without) kids!

    I agree with the pp who said polyuerthene or like a varnish...go to your local home store (HD or Lowes etc) and tell them what you'd like to do and they will direct you to the proper may even get luck at your local craft store as well; but I'd bet on the ppl at the Home store knowing which is best and how to use it; ie cover in thin layers or it will take FOREVER to dry etc...

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

  • Mod Podge is made for things like this. Use a foam brush and don't be stingy with it either.

    Answer by Dr.Girlfriend at 10:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.