I want a dog for my kids. But he says no it is not the time! I am getting fustrated!

kasiaL

Asked by kasiaL at 12:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Pets

• I am in the same boat. But what is your question exactly?
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 12:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• DON'T get a dog "for your kids". Too many people get animals for their kids and the animal ends up neglected, unloved and eventually in the pound or just passed from house to house. My parents did this all the time growing up. Someone would beg for an animal and they gave in and got it. Over and over we gave away animals or they ended up dying long before their time.
    Kids (even teenagers) are not mature enough to take responsibility for another life. They may be at first, but life changes, kids change. My sister poor beagle is unloved and neglected right now. She BEGGED for a puppy and my parents got her one for her 12th birthday. Things went fine the first couple of years, but she is a teen now. She has friends, a boyfriends, school, and a job. She has no time to walk, play with, or feed that dog. I feel so bad for him everytime I visit.
    If YOU want a dog, and if YOU are going to take full responsibility that is great. cont
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• But don't get a dog thinking the kids will walk him, feed him, train him, etc. Dogs need to be walked (in the right way, meaning him following you) 45 minutes a day, minimum. When they aren't their energy gets built up and that is when behavior problems start to develop. They also need to be mentally stimulated.
    I would suggest really looking into the breed you want. Do a lot of research. Also watch the "Dog Whisperer" on National Geographic channel. That show can really teach you a lot about dogs and give you a better idea whether your family is ready for one or not. If your husband doesn't want a dog that is already room for trouble. BOTH of you need to be in control of the dog, you both need to develop a bond with the dog. If it is one sided there will be a lot more arguments and trouble between you two.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Getting a dog for the kids is not the way to look at it. It needs to be a family dog. If it is the kids dog the kids are the ones who end up being threatened all the time of losing their dog because they can't handle the sole caregiver. It really is painful as a kid when your parents get rid of your pet because you didn't take care of it right. There is a lot of guilt felt by the kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Dogs are a lot of extra work when you have kids. You think you're busy now, wait until you get a dog. They need regular walks, attention, and they need to be let out to go potty every couple of hours. They get spendy too. They need to be groomed, shots, teeth cleaned twice a year, nails trimmed every month. Trust me, I have two, when you are a busy Mom, it's a lot of added work and responsibility. Do you have the time for a dog? I had my dogs before I started having kids and my advice to people who are planning on having kids in the near future is always to wait and have kids first and then think about it. I sometimes think about how it would be nice to not have that added care taking, but I do love my dogs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I agree with Anon 3:09. Getting any pet for kids is irresponsible IMO. Most kids will not take care of pets long term and even though they say they will, they will get bored of the dog eventually. If YOU want a dog and YOU want to take care of it, then by all means you should get one.
    Anonymous