Did anyone else apply for a census job and recieve a letter from that that wants your fingerprints to match up to the FBI?

I applied for a census job and recieved a letter that said that I needed to send my fingerprints to the DC office. Did anyone else recieve this letter? I found it odd.But maybe it's not.Thanks!

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 12:11 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Fingerprinting is SOP for any job attached to civil service. I had to be fingerprinted for my current job because the station is licensed to a community college district.

I also had to be fingerprinted for my real estate license a few years back.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Thanks for the info gdiamante. I do know not anyone else that applied for the cenus jobs so I was curious if this was common. Again, thanks
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:35 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Even if you apply for a job in the bank you are fingerprinted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I had a retail job last year and I had to be fingerprinted and drug tested. I think any government job requires fingerprinting at the very least.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 1:02 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Any job I have had I have had a background check and a drug test, but never the fingerprinting. I understand the reason behind it, just took me by suprise.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My husband applied for, and passed the census takers test last March, and was recently contacted by the someone in the Census Bureau in Harrisburg, PA, to see if he was still interested in being a census taker, and to date has not been instructed to submit his fingerprints.

Maybe when he is actually assigned to a role he will?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• What's the big deal? I've been in social work for 20 years and have been fingerprinted many times and have also had multiple FBI background checks. They just want to make sure that no serial killers or child molesters become social workers, teachers--or census workers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I had to get fingerprinted to work at a bank 30 years ago. I had nothing to hide. I gladly gave my fingerprints. It is an important job that needs to be done correctly. You will be helping collect data, as required be the Constitution, that impacts the allocation of funds. I really hope no one with ACORN gets a job doing this.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I recall reading or hearing about this recently... Something about a lot of felons who got jobs with the census people because their fingerprint checks were messed up, or not done, something like that. Sorry, I don't have a link, or a source to cite. Anyway, it does make sense to have to do a fingerprint check for this kind of job.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2009