How can Darvocet hurt my unborn child?

I just had a root canal done Thursday. Well the dentist punched through the bottom and overfilled and Ive been to e.r. with such severe pain I wanted to shoot myself. I am now on vicodin, ibuprofen, and penicillin until I can get to the dentist again on Monday to pull the tooth we WERE going to crown.

My issue is this, at e.r. I asked for darvocet this time because two months ago on a different tooth that was abcessed I was in a different e.r. and the doctor well aware that I was pregnant said that a pregnant woman can only have darvocet or tylenol 3 for this. So he prescribed me Darvocet (which worked wonders!!!) and penecillin which within one week I had the tooth pulled and all was well.

My question is this- this time my o.b. on call and all the e.r. staff said no way Jose to Darvocet it is not safe in pregnancy. So tell me, what is the potential harm to the baby from the Darvocet I did take for 3 days straight?

tsjpop

Asked by tsjpop at 1:00 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Just what a pregnant lady needs is a bunch of b.s. about pain meds when you have to be feeling like slapping everyone around you because you're in that much pain. LOL. If I were you, I would call a pharmacist and ask them. They would be more likely to be up front, and maybe know why two doctors can't agree on if its okay or not. The link I provided tells you that it is unknown if or what harm it can do to an unborn child. This is one of many medications where you have to weigh the risks against the benefits. It is a common pain relief choice *when absolutely necessary* since it is acetaminophen *Tylenol* based. It also says you can become immune to it, which can happen if you take any pain meds like this too long. I hope that helps!

http://www.drugs.com/darvocet.html
    Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 1:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Any pain meds are going to be harmful to your baby. Even the ones your on now. I would get off of them and deal with the pain. Do you really want to put your child at risk?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:11 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Sounds to me like you are a E.R. shopper. JMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I live in a rural area, a in between two towns that have a hospital. I have 12 miles to one and 13 miles to the other. I am not an e.r. shopper lol. I do have a choice since I have private insurance and I can go anywhere I choose.

I understand pain meds can be harmful, but i have googled it for answers AND NOW WHERE TELLS ME "WHAT" KIND OF DANGER this has on the baby. If miscarriage is the only danger, then no harm done, I want to know what the POTENTIAL HARM IS , not that it is harmful.
    tsjpop

Answer by tsjpop at 1:23 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• why would you have all this dental work why your pregnant?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• www.kellymom.com
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 1:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Agreed with anon..Your not supposed to have stuff like that done while your pregnant..

Potential harm includes-addiction to the meds, premature or drug addicted babies, physical or brain damage. You know that they are harmful and yet your still taking them. Really?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:30 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Its called abcesses. If I dont get the work done, the INFECTION from abcesses can kill the baby for sure. Stress can also kill an unborn child, and the pain from the teeth is more painful than labor pains, and unbearable, and extremely stressful. It is a must , I have about 9 cavities that need taken care of, but I am not dealing with them until the baby comes, only the abcesses that need taken care of. I have many underlying health issues, diabetes, hypothyroid, things that cause teeth decay under the gums, nothing I can prevent, but that is not what my question is, why would you ask why I would get this dental work done while pregnant but not put your 2c two cents in on an answer to THE QUESTION at hand, maybe thats why you are anonymous with no balls I guess.
    tsjpop

Answer by tsjpop at 1:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Thank you Sarah, I was typing my answer to anon when you were t yping yours, at least you asked a question like anon did, but also had an answer. If you havent had tooth pain such as this, then I suggest you not give advice on how to deal with the pain while pregnant and just answer the question of WHAT HARM DOES THIS DRUG DO DURING PREGNANCY?
    tsjpop

Answer by tsjpop at 1:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I also agree with anon...you have to be responsible in getting all this stuff under control before you get pregnant. you had alot of other health issues before you concieved so its apparent that you were never concerned about the babies health to begin with so why ask the question now and then get upset with the response you get.
    mommy2tu

Answer by mommy2tu at 1:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2009