Do formula fed babies ever catch up?

For the mommys who know alot about breast feeding, I am wondering if there has ever been studys on if formula fed babies ever catch up to breast fed babies...I am talking in the health department. Will the immunity catch up in most cases or are breast fed babies always going to be healthier?

I ask because I regret not breastfeeding due to stress and not having anyone really supporting me. Nobody in my family really breastfed. Now I am choosing a different way of parenting, such as no vaccines, so I regret my previous decision b/c I know breastfeeding provides antibodies for infants.
I can't go back though. I am hoping thogh that all children eventually even out if they are active and healthy.

Thanks if you can provide me any information on this.

CurvyMommato1

Asked by CurvyMommato1 at 1:04 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was FF as an infant, and I'm perfectly healthy today, 23 years later. I had asthma as a child but I grew out of it.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• BF babies are not always healthier. My children were all FF and have never been sick with anything worse than a cold. One was even a preemie and has had no lasting health problems. My SIL breastfed and her kids are always sick. I thing that it is just ignorant to lump all babies into two groups and say that one group will be healthier than the other.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My older son was not breastfeed and he almost never gets sick, I did breastfeed my younger son and he has horrible allergies and asthsma he had croup up until last year and hes 8 now, had to have his tonsels removed and has been to the hospital so many times the staff knows us. I do think the bonding experience is the only plus for breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My oldest breasfed for a good 6 weeks then struggled with it during week 7 and 8 so we had to switch to a special formula, my other two were breastfed till they were almost 3. Alll of my children are very healthy, if one gets sick so do the others I dont have one that gets sick more than the others and luckily they rarely get sick. Could be that my oldest got enough breastmilk to make a difference I dont know. While I believe breast is best I dont think formula feeding is the end of the world and many many FF babies grow to be very healthy children.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• When they say BF makes your child healthier it mean healthier than it would be not breastfeeding. You can relactate, did you know that? But really dont beat yourself up. I did the same with my 2nd child. I was pressured to give him formula and he ended up preferring that instead, because in the bottle it comes out faster and they dont have to work so hard. I felt terrible, I really did. i thought I failed. Its ok. Your baby is perfectly healthy and breastfed babies only have antibodies until the mom stops nursing. How old is your baby?
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 1:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• It isn't so much that ff babies will be unhealthy and bf babies will be healthy. It is more of a risk thing. Most babies who were formula fed grow up healthy. For the ones who are unhealthy it is hard to say if they will "catch up". Some people just have health problems their whole life, it is hard to pinpoint it to ff. Just as if someone is healthy it can't be pinpointed back to just bfing. Like I said for most pro-breast feeders, it is more of a risk they don't want to take with their baby.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 2:14 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• As for anti-bodies, they build up in you after being exposed to bacteria whether it makes you sick or not. Our bodies are always building up anti-bodies to protect us. It is not like we reach a point of x-amount of antibodies and then stop. We all have built up different amount of immunities to different things according to what we have been exposed to. I don't believe there even is a "catch up" mark.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 2:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• it doesn't make much difference after about 9 months if their is going to be a differnce it will show quite soon but my friend breast fed hers and they are quite often ill
    RIPzoemommy

Answer by RIPzoemommy at 4:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• They were never left behind lol I have 4 that were formula fed and they are rarely sick we have gone years without anyone getting sick
    koolest_mom_of4

Answer by koolest_mom_of4 at 6:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Are you serious????
    My children were formul afed and have NEVER been sick they are also well advanced in school.
    They also hit mile stones far ahead of every other child.
    My kids were walking by 7 months for god sakes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2009