My boys still wet the bed, any advice?

My 12 and 9 year old boys still wet the bed just about every night. I stopped drinks at 5 pm, they wear pull-ups,and we have tried the medication DDAVP. Nothing is working! This is so frustrating! Anyone have any ideas or experienced this themselves and have advice?

momof3freeland

Asked by momof3freeland at 3:29 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My brother had this problem and he eventually outgrew it. I also have several friends who went through the same thing with their sons and all started to outgrow it around age 13. I would ask your doctor again if there are any other alternatives since the medication didnt work, it is possible that you may just have to wait it out.

I wish I had better advice but my boys havent had this problem at all so all my experience is 2nd hand.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I have the same problem. My son is now 14 and finally, I see improvement. Now it's about 40% of the time that he wets. It was 100% a year ago, so things are looking up for us. It's hard to deal with, especially since he outgrew the Goodnights. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:26 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Given their ages, I would take them to see a doctor. Normally bed wetting stops around age 9.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I didn't stop wetting the bed till I was 9 or 10 but usually kids out grow it
    Anonymous

• Have you gone to the doctors to see if anythings wrong. you should go do that first. Then make sure they both go pee right before bed. and make sure they are warm . Maybe they get cold over night. and they are too tired to get up to go to the bathroom. gl
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You need to get them up in the middle of the night because they are not waking up themselves.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:50 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Could it be they are just being lazy because you allow them to wear the pullups? I would agree with PP. Start waking them up in the middle of the night. Do this every night for a month or month and a half, then stop waking them up (don't let them know you are going to be doing this) to see if their bodies have adjusted. We did this when ours was 4 1/2 and that's what worked for us.
    Anonymous

• They are not lazy. This is a common problem. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do, they have to outgrow it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I also have this problem with my daughter who will be 10 next month. We took her to the pedi a month ago and were told that she has to outgrow it. I was so disappointed that the doc wouldn't even consider anything else. It is hard for me to let her go to sleepovers because I fear that the other kids will make fun of her. What do you do when your boys sleep over at a friend's house? BTW - there is no chance my daughter will wear the pull ups...I wish! she would.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 5:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• At sleepovers, my son would wear the pullups. I would pack him a small plastic bag to bring it home in his suitcase. He changed in the bathroom. It's tough. He didn't have a lot of sleepovers. I worried the whole time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2009