Gooey eyes??

The last few days my son has had gooey eyes. He is 3weeks old. It is clearish but sometimes creamy. At first was only happening when he cried, but now it just comes & goes. We wipe them with a warm damp cloth so that he doesn't get crusty..but is this normal? What should we do about it? He sees his doctor Monday but I want to make sure it's not something serious...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 4:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nothing serious, my babies eyes do that to, if you are breastfeeding dap a cloth into some breastmilk and wipe it with that, if you don't breastfeed what your doing is fine, just keep your baby well dressed and warm when going outside and make sure he is not cold when inside the house, it goes oway.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:16 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• This is very normal. It's most likely a clogged tear duct, and is very common in newborns. Your baby is not hurting at all. What you can try to do during feedings or when he's asleep is massage the area between the corner of his eye and nose with your index finger to help unclog the duct. Keep up with the warm cloth for cleaning. There really isn't much else you can do right now.

This will more than likely last for quite some time. Weeks to months. My baby is 3 months old, and his is just now starting to clear up a little.
    kelli0585

Answer by kelli0585 at 5:44 AM on Nov. 8, 2009