Only wants to nurse from the one side.

My DS is two months old and only wants to nurse from the one side. The other side is going back to normal side. Can this effect the other side and cause me not to produce milk? Sorry I didn't know how to word this question. Hope you know what I mean. Does your LO do this as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Use the "football hold" so the baby is still laying in the same direction. My dd did it for a little bit but stopped after I kept trying. I hope it helps!
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 6:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Yes if you dont nurse from both sides the side that isnt being used will stop producing milk! Also, if you nurse that way, when youre all done nursing and you go back down to normal size, your breasts will be SIGNIFIGANTLY different sizes! You want to make sure you nurse from both sides equally! The breast that gets used more, will produce more milk. and the other will produce less. :)

I hope that helps!
    Sherrae

Answer by Sherrae at 6:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• well the side u don't use will become engorged and hurt. just only offer then that side until they get used to it and finally nurse from it. then u can go back to alternating. i had that problem too. they were scared of the right lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• You should pump from that side or try a different position. Its going to mess you up eventually if youre only feeding from the one side
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:01 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• A friend could only nurse from one side due to medical issues. Well she was significantly lopsided during their nursing relationship, but she did nurse two children for about 2 years each with no supply issues. She is still significantly lopsided 2 years after weaning the last one. She does not regret it for one minute though as nursing and providing breastmilk for her children is way more important to her then vanity. Any way that being said I would continue trying to nurse off the other side so you do not end up this way. The side that is not being nursed on will quit producing milk or produce very little eventually. Another friend had issues with her DD not nursing one side so she had her looked at by a chirporactor who adjusted her neck and the LO then nursed fine on both sides. Maybe something is out of alignment with your LO.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• just make sure that you are pumping the other side every feeding that your baby doesn't want to feed from that side. My son did the same thing. But he didn't just stick to one side the whole time, he did it a couple of times throughout but would always go back to feeding from both. He probably favored one side over the other because it produced more milk than the other side, which is normal. I'm also assuming that the side that produced more came out easier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Nov. 8, 2009