Allergies and coughing

My son has allergies, the same as me. The doctor said that coughing can come with it (due to nasal drip). I dont have a cough and never have that i can recall with my allergies. This morning his cough sounds more horse, and his voice is somewhat cracking, and sometimes when he breaths he sounds a bit "congested", he also said after a cough his throat hurt, after 10 min he said he felt better. He looked great yesterday, after i gave him his allergy med. his symptoms seemed to have really cleared up. Ok heres comes my question: Do you think he's coughed himself horse and it might clear as the day goes on? or does he sound sick?
BTW he did'nt cough at all threw the night. This is something new to me with him and i tend to "over worrie" with him...lol

EarthHippy

Asked by EarthHippy at 8:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• During the night, nasal drippage goes down the back of the throat and will make the throat dry and coughing is a result. It should go away but I'd opt for a humidifier in his room at night. We are dealing with the same thing. I also give Mucinex to help 'get it up' first thing in the morning.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Thank you :-)
    EarthHippy

Answer by EarthHippy at 9:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• If allergy meds helped, most likely it isn't a cold. The weather is changing- where do you live? In PA, people with asthma/ allergies (which usually go together to an extent. I have both, for example, but my asthma has never had an impact on my life) have problems moving from indoor to outdoor conditions without coughing because of the drastic temperature change. Another problem in our area is that as it dries out, different allergens pop up. There may be something new in the environment that is just a different irritant. Watch for other signs of a cold, but I'd call it allergies.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My son has the same problem. The doctor prescribed a medication by nebulizer that my son takes once a day, at night, so he doesn't cough through the night. He is also on allergy medicine each morning. It has really helped.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2009