Punishment for peeing in pants

She has been potty trained since July. She has started occasionally wetting in her pants because she gets involved in playing and doesn't stop to go to the bathroom. when I ask her if she peed in her pants, she says yes then gleefully says "I get timeout". So here we are, timeout is not a punishment anymore. I don't spank and she's only 2.5 years old. what other punishments do you have in mind? She doesn't watch much tv and is content to just sit in a chair until told to get up...

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 8:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think I'd punish for this. She's still young and easily excited and distrated by other things going on. Give her time. In the mean time, make her clean up her own mess and change her own clothing.
    Anonymous

• Ask her if she has to go to the bathroom and make her try more often. If you see that she's caught up in playing, call a timeout and make her try to go. Or make it into a game, race to the bathroom or something. Make doing the right thing more fun then timeout. Does she wear pullups??
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 8:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Potty training should not involved punishments or shame. Children this age often "regress" a bit. As you stated, developmentally, she is more concerned with the activity that she has going on. There's a LOT of new intellect, awareness, and curiosity at work at this age. Potty training is not "perfection, no accidents", it does require patience and compassion.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I agree punishment should never be involved in this part of growing. At this age it happens. I also think the first answer is the best so far. My son is almost 5 and i have to remind him to go potty sometimes. He hasn't wet his pants in a long time. But he does get preoccupied playing and holds it for along time. what my ex-husband and i did to get our little one started is we made a chart (you can buy them too) and we had stickers of his fave characters eg Spongebob. every time he potted he got a sticker and he made a check mark beside it. He thought it was fun he put the sticker on the square and got to "color". This help us also keep track of how many times a day/night he was going.  good luck

EarthHippy

Answer by EarthHippy at 9:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Punishment is not appropriate. You cannot punish during potty training. You need to remind her frequently to get on the potty and go.

What you can do is offer rewards and consequences. When she pees her pants, make her responsible (with your supervision) for cleaning up the mess and herself.

When she goes all day without having any accidents, have a reward. You can make a reward chart and give her stickers or some other "treat" for not having any accidents.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I have to agree with shyma advice. I think training a child to potty is very hard on a parent , make it fun to go potty. I have a gator bank for my son to use everytime he goes potty. The whole house we feed the gator bank. LOL... punishments should never be involved at all with a child learning. Just try to remind her it's potty time. If I could only recall the times my son has wet his underwear....LOL... Yout hurting her self-esteem with using timeouts and etc. You are the parent and you have to watch over her and guide her. Cheer for her and if she wets herself than clean her up and tell her will try again to make to the potty next time. Good luck..
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Why are you punishing a child for having an accident in her pants? What's wrong with you? Keep it up and she'll be so scared to go, you'll need a doctor's help.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Basicly what everybody else has stated it the answer. You can't punish for wetting. Hence the word accident, we don't punish accidents, we punish intent. It's frustrating, but it's apart of helping them grow. The only thing that you can do is when you think that she should go because she's been running around on a full bladder, stop her at play and take her to the bathroom. Then at the end of the day discuss how proud you are of her not peeing her pants today and taking the time out to go to the bathroom when she is busy playing. What's frustrating to me is when I ask my son if he needs to go potty and he tells me no, or I try to take him and then about 10 min. later in the car he pees his pants and tells me potty and smiles about it. But he is also 21 months so what can I do right? :)
    Anonymous

• just try reminding her more often and make her clean up the mess
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2009