When did you start baby ceral, oatmeal, rice?

I was just curious on when you started your little ones on baby rice or etc. I have a 3 and a half week old son, and i have people telling me to start it with him in a week or so/ My son is fussy and loves nursing. I have been bf since birth and sometimes he doesnt seem satisfied and he usualy only sleeps the most 2 hours at a time, so ppl are telling me to start givein him baby rice or etc to satisfy him, and i thought you dont start that for 3 or 4 months, he can eat 4 oz of my breast milk in a bottle and still be hungry....please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do NOT give rice cereal or oatmeal in abottle.
    ALWAYS from a bowl.
    They can choke on it from a bottle.
    Unless your dr tells you other wise dont start solids til about 4 months.
    If your baby is still hungry then feed him more breastmilk .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My doc said it was ok to give my son rice cerial. She said to give him about a teapoon of it 2 or 3 tmes a day. he was bfing every 1 1/2 hour at 2 weeks old and he loved it. As long as its really runny he's not going to choke. Ask your pedo if you want to be sure. But i know people who did it way sooner than that. At a few days old and their children are fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Dont give rice cereal. It's normal for them to nurse all the time at that age. My DS always nursed at that age and I felt like all I was doing was nursing but at that age thats very normal. He should be eating at the least every two hours. Dont worry he is satisfied. Just take all the nursing as more time to snuggle and be close to each other bc before you know it he wont be nursing nearly as much like my DS who is 6 months now. I didnt try rice ceareal untill 5 in a half months and he hated it! It's very bland kinda like formula. Breast milk is sweet. So I tryed avocodo and he loved it. But I wouldnt start any solids untill at least 5 months. The recommindations are 6 bc there digestive system is better developed them. GL momma and congrats on you baby:)
    Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:24 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• my ds is almost 3 months old and right now he's taking a bottle with oatmeal cereal
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I never use cereal with my son. He nursed on demand, and at 8 months, started taking a few bites of purred veggies every few days. Your child is much too young for anything other then milk. Eating frequently and short sleep spurts are normal in such a young baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Oh everybody shut up. You can give your baby rice people have been doing it for decades. My grandma to my mom, my mom to me and me to my baby. Feed the kid rice I promise she'll be fine. If its too much lower the nipple flow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I mean he'll be fine not she'll. Oh and my daughter couldn't poop for anything...so at 3 weeks she was getting spoon fed prunes. By 3 months she was opening her mouth for every bite like a pro and by 4 months she was eating up to 5-6 jars of 2nd stage a day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Let him nurse every 2 hours or when ever he wants it. He is still very young and is going to do this until his extremely little tummy can hold more. He is helping your milk supply come in more as well. You are going to here different answers on cereal. You have to keep in mind the reason why it's not really recommend to start your baby on any solids until about 4 months, because their digestive system isn't fully matured yet. I really don't think that there is a real reason for you to add cereal to his diet, he was just born. The way he is feeding is to be expected. I would say if you wanted some real sound advice about this, call a lactation consultant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• 3 and half wks old is too young to start on any type of cereal. Keep breastfeeding! Your baby won't be ready for cereal until at least 4 months old!
    Anonymous