Massachusetts Man Says He Was Fired for Telling Colleague Her Gay Marriage Is Wrong

This is SO WRONG. After this woman kept going on and on and on about how she had married her partner to a man that she KNEW believed this was wrong , even though he hadn't said so yet, he finally says that he doesn't agree with that lifestyle, she walks out and says "human resources buddy" and he get a termination letter. They were BOTH management. Her job was NEVER on the block and the letter he gets from the company says

"In the state of Massachusetts, same-sex marriage is legal and there will be people with whom you work with who have fiancées or spouses who are the same gender," the Aug. 12 letter read. "... While you are entitled to your own beliefs, imposing them upon others in the workplace is not acceptable and in this case, by telling a colleague that she is deviant and immoral, constitutes discrimination and harassment."

HE says he NEVER said THOSE things! Just that he didn't agree with the lifestyle!

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 8:49 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So now no one can have an oposing opnion on this topic? So SHE can say her opnion and what SHE believes but HE cant?! I would feel the SAME WAY if this was reversed! Whhat do you think??

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,572862,00.html?test=latestnews

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Well she had every right to talk about OR even brag about her new marriage. We all do it. Its something to be proud of. If he didnt like it then he didnt have to say anything. how do you know that it was a "buddy" of hers that helped his termination? There has to be more to this story b/c freedom of speech is not grounds for terminating someone. So what are the details?

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:54 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Sounds like a "He said, She said" story to me, and there is always more to them than what you hear.

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• ok so her is more to the story from your link

Vidala disputes using the words "deviant" and "immoral" during conversations with human resources employees on the matter.

"I did say I regard that lifestyle as deviant, as in deviating from the norm, but I never, ever said to that to the [manager]," he said. "In general, I believe people don't want to hear about controversial issues like that in the workplace. They shouldn't have to."

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I didn't say she had a buddy in human resources.....did you READ the link? SHE said "human recourse's buddy" as in thats where I am heading. YES she DOES have every right to brag. But she KNOWS that this is a controversial thing that many people disapprove of so she needs to understand that she might hear things she doesnt like! JUST LIKE when you marry young and everyone tell you you are stupid and its never going to last. Or when you marry someone older and with more money and people call you a gold digger and worse. THIS is not the only combination of people that hears crap when they get married...but if you read the ARTICLE it sounds like she was goading him.,..which ISNT right.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I think the bottom line is that she stated her belief then he gets to state HIS. IF her job had been threatened by what he said THEN i see a problem.....but it wasnt.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:02 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• He did impose his beliefs on her. To stamp a label of immorality and deviant on a persons life style just b/c you dont agree is WRONG. Who is he to judge? I feel she had every right to talk about her marriage. Marriage is not a controversial issue. The issue is that she is lesbian, SO WHAT??? If she where heterosexual then he wouldnt have opened his mouth, right? You mean to tell me of all the conversations that go on in a work place, all the gossip, that is the ONE that he just had to impose on? Give me a break.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:03 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Already answered that

JUST LIKE when you marry young and everyone tell you you are stupid and its never going to last. Or when you marry someone older and with more money and people call you a gold digger and worse. THIS is not the only combination of people that hears crap when they get married...but if you read the ARTICLE it sounds like she was goading him.,..which ISNT right.

EVERYONE geta what they do questioned by office gossip.  I worked for sears when I was 17 and got married.  You should have HEARD the crap I got for it...I didnt realize that I could get everyone FIRED for saying things I didnt want to hear......

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:06 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I READ the link...

The woman, according to Vidala, then said, "Human resources, buddy — keep your opinions to yourself," before exiting the store.

This looks like an add in. It doesnt even make since(gramaticly) in the way he put it. Sounds like she is saying to him. HUMAN RESOURCES!!! as in that is where she is headed. Buddy, keep your opinions to yourself.

NOT that human resources is her buddy or that she has a human resource buddy. Anyway its still a bunch of he say she say

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• This looks like an add in. It doesnt even make since(gramaticly) in the way he put it. Sounds like she is saying to him. HUMAN RESOURCES!!! as in that is where she is headed. Buddy, keep your opinions to yourself.

LMAO sugah....thats what I was saying...

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 8, 2009