What would you do if you saw somw 14-15 years old drinking?

My son did the right thing and turned these kids in, and because of that he,s had threats made against him. I don,t understand why people are persecuted for what they believe is the right thing to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Let the parents know...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• ok i know im a mom now and i don't want my daughter drinking and as the adult id probably go to their parents but realistically im only 20 i remember being that age and partying and your childs a snitch so of course hes gonna be picked on what did you expect teenagers who rat others out often get threatened or beat up...he has to decide if he wants to stay on those kids good side or follow wat he believes is morally right...over dosing or guns yea tell someone but alcohol come on your asking for it (and by the way drinking had nothing to do with my having a baby at a young age nor was i a rebellious child...i was always on high honor roll and in athletics and both parents were teachers but i did drink ocassionally at parties at that aage most do,.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• If you can prove the threats, turn them in too. Tell him to hang in there. A person with integrity is a rare thing.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I would document or tape the threats. I am sorry this is happening to him right now. If this were my child and the threats were at his school, I would request his school placement be changed to the other high school in our area. I would also talk to my son about next time reporting anonymously in situations like these. I wouldn't want him to put himself at risk but I also wouldn't want him to not take any action. There is a way to report situations without having to announce you were the one who did it. Sometimes that is unavoidable...like when you have to call 911. In other cases you have some discretion. Doing the right thing is not always easy and nobody tends to like the whistle blower. It is about weighing the options but still choosing the right path.  I wouldn't want my child to go through high school being picked on because of one incident.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Kids are so afraid of being snitches these days and getting beaten or killed that they aren't standing up for themselves and others. Like the gang rape case no one wanted to report it because they'd get killed and raped themselves by the sickos. This kind of stuff is exactly why I pay $20,000 a year to have my son in a very good private school. I wish that public schools would get their acts together. Its scary to think 14-15 year olds are drinking. Drinking is a stepping stone to worse things.
    Anonymous

• anon 6:19: If you think there is no drinking or drugs or any other normal teenager things going on in your $20,000 a year private school, you are delusional. The private, Catholic high school in my city has MORE drugs in it than the 3 public high schools put together and that is info from the police department. The public schools in my city are very serious about drug and alcohol use in the schools. These things are done off of school grounds and some of the biggest parties are from kids in PRIVATE schools.

OP: What I think when I see 14 and 15 yr olds drinking...oh wait, I haven't seen 14 and 15 yr olds drinking. But if I did, I would wonder where their parents are.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Talk to your child about maintaining anonymity next time. Document any threats received and have someone from that school contact the parents. If your school has a student resource officer, contact them, too. A friend from high school had to transfer schools and her parents had to change their phone numbers because she got so much trouble from other kids for "snitching" on a student who was selling drugs at school. Your kid did the right thing, but keep in mind that no good deed goes unpunished.
    Anonymous

• no good deed goes un-punished. we all know that one. but now he has to go the full mile and turn in those who are a threat to him then they'll see and hear the force of doing the right thing. threats can get thier butts in trouble. so ,,, i would incourage him to go all the way on doing the right thing! turn them in again.. for threats!
    speck323

Answer by speck323 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2009