My 3 yr old acts out does yours???

My child just turned 3. She loves to talk back, interrupt me while on the phone and while talking to my husband when he's home from work. I know these are normal and we have strict guidelines we try to follow such as time out and correcting her, but she demands everything and I'm trying to nip that in the bud. I believe that you should start early in teaching your children manners and politeness, but I also realize they are only 3 and pushing your buttons. Somedays she really drives me crazy...Does your child do these things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yep, but he's almost 4 now and its a lot better than it was. Timeout was his best friend for a while but I would talk to him, tell him what he did wrong, tell him what the right thing to do was and just go from there. And everytime i saw him doing something good I'd make a big fuss about it and tell him i was so proud of the way he handled it. it worked out well for me, good Luck:)
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• mine did. at 3 they are like sponges so go ahead and start teaching her manners and good behavior. she will learn. you just have to stay consistant, and by 4 she will be a LOT better. just know that now is the age she gets that understanding of what she can and cannot do.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My son is about to be 4 on Christmas Day... I have noticed that all of the training we are doing is starting to pay off! He is a lot better behaved, recently. We still have a long way to go, but I think we are going in the right direction. Consistency is the way to go! Good luck!
    zacandrobinsmom

Answer by zacandrobinsmom at 9:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• not really..she's a really good kid, a little demanding at times "mom i want someting to drink, where's my bear, i want to watch a tape...etc" but she's not a bad kid
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• All kids act out. At every age. It is completely normal. You did it when you were a kid too.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Your child sounds very much like a happy, healthy, and normal child. My three year old is an EXCELLENTLY behaved child but he is not an alien from another planet. This means he interrupts from time to time, goes through my purse if I leave it out, and wants my attention. Truthfully a child should be and needs to be doing these things at this age. The reason: they are learning and it is our job to teach them. If they do not make mistakes now then later on they do not know if something is right or wrong. We need them to interrupt, climb on us, and do a little chaos.  The fact that your child is comfortable with doing these things around you means she is completely comfortable, trusts you, and is not fearful of you.  So gentle correction and continue to teach limits.  She is three....this is her job.  Continue to do yours as her mom and you both will be okay.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• YES! My daughter just turned 3 as well. She has manners and things, very friendly and polite, she just becomes a little ball of tantrums some days. Other days she is such a big girl and helps with her baby sister......I just gotta deal with the side of her I get.
    mommy_cannon

Answer by mommy_cannon at 2:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• When you find out let me know!! My 3yr old grandson that live with me tells me to shut up and leave him alone all the time... Time out dont work!! As soon as he's able to get up from the couch(his time out area) he's right back at it again... He was born almost 4 months premature and i'm praying that he'll be able to communicate more better soon so he understands that what he is doing is wrong
    lezzard

Answer by lezzard at 3:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• well my d is 32 mts. but yes she does act out. but if she does she gets time outs and if its something bad then she gets a spank.my dd is very polite and has great manners. she has her moments but i ahve to say compared to other kids my princess is an angel
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• OP HERE:: Thank you. My daughter has manners and is polite but she has her moments like all you said. She is a well-behaved child most of the time, but just is so rammy when she doesn't get her way. I'm glad to hear your success stories.
    Anonymous