Children volunterring opertunities......

My daughters are 8 & 9 and while they arent high maintenance they ARE incredibly ungrateful and selfish! They are perfectly happy with Tull from the dollar store and gifts less than $10 (not that they know the price,just that its not high end stuff). Their clothes are mainly hand me downs or bought from the thrift store! But they have LOTS of family that adores them and they lack for nothing....but when do something or go somewhere they think its ALL about them! For example, we went o a fall festival last night and their grandparents and a great grandparent came. When THEY wanted st stop and look at something my girls literally started CRYING because they weren't getting what they wanted! I was PISSED. They try this a lot and it NEVER EVER EVER gets them what they want. I have even pointed that out to them! Anyway, I want to get them volunteering and realizing how fortunate they are....any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• See if the Youth Volunteer Core is active in your area "Since 1987 YVC has been engaging 11-18 year olds in structured, supervised service learning projects in and out of school."

www.ycva.org

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• That might work if they weren't 8&9 like the OP said.

I would just leave them at home. With a sitter of course. I would stop taking them places because of that behavior. That's what I do with my younger children. They also lack for nothing, but they are not happy with dollar store fodder. I am doing my best at curbing their voracious entitlement. They will be going through their toys in a couple of weekends to find things to donate to kids that aren't as fortunate.

If you are involved in a church, sometimes they have programs that need volunteers. Food banks, toy drives (where they have to wrap gifts for needy children), making cards for kids in the hospital with serious illnesses, you can get creative. Or how about writting letters to the men and women in the military and sending them to soldiers that don't get much mail (there are lists of them online).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Both of my daughters are active in Girl Scouts and are loving all the volunteering and helping. We also, as a family volunteer with Habitat for Humanity and a few homeless vets shelters. It's a good family opportunity. jmo

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:45 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Join the Scouts! All the volunteering opportunites you will ever need are there.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Charity begins at home. Why not make them do CHORES around the house in which they then EARN a trip to the "dollar store?"

You can decide if washing the dishes, cleaning their rooms/picking up after themselves, taking initiative, doing their homework, helping put groceries away, helping you to clean for a week or two or four is "equivalent to ONE trip to the store.

The HARDER you make it to earn a prize the more they will appreciate it! They have learned that every time they go they get something--even something cheap--THAT practice has to stop--unless you want to continue to raise self-absorbed kids (which you don't)!

If they insist on getting something, YOU have the power to tell them they cannot go to the store next time, and they can stay home. They'll learn quickly enough. It's up to you to hold firm, and be the bad guy! Trust me, they'll survive!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:50 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Op here~

I say no all the time. Sometimes I think that all I say LOL. My friends kids call me the mean mom because I make my girls clean their room by themselves and tell them no! But I dont do the chore thing. I like that. We tried the scouts but I guess we got in a bad group because all they seemed to do were dollar store arts and crafts and worry about who brought the snack to the next meeting!! I was upset because I was in scouts and loved it! Can you go to a different troop or do you have to go to the one in your area? I like the troop idea and they play soccer through a church (we dont go regularly to ours, bad I know, and something ELSE that might help!) I will ook there! Thank you ladies for helping and not judging!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• They are not too young. There is a local 9 year old girl who began her own charity to collect food and supplies to help shelter animals. Of course it was with the help of her parents. You might call the Y or the library to find out about local youth opportunities. Maybe they will get to work with animals which would be an excellent learning experience.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• The chores they do at home is great training, but you can't put that on a college application in the spot that ask for community service. The Gold Award (GSA) or Eagle Scout (BSA) gets colleges to ask your child to apply. Colleges understand the dedication, focus, sacrifice, and service it takes to get either of these awards.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 8, 2009