How often do you take time for yourself?

I know, I know...I'm a funny funny person, right? But, in all seriousness. Do you have friends? Do you go out? Do you just go and go and go? Do you take so little time for yourself that you want to run away? Do you take an entire day once a week? I don't know my answer, by the way. I take time for myself when the baby naps, but I have no friends and my boyfriend hates spending time with me, and so other than this, I don't, lol. What do other moms do??

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 9:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No i don't take time for myself. Not that I couldn't but that I just don't. It's something I am working on in therapy. I don't want to feel guilty for taking time for myself, but the times I have, I felt very guilty and didn't enjoy it(I had an hour long massage once). I think if I had a friend to do something with it might be better, but I don't like doing things alone anyways. I would rather have my baby with me.
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 9:24 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I don't take any time for myself at all. I don't have any friends at all because I'm new to NJ and I didn't grow up here like everyone else. I'm a SAHM and my kids are with me 24/7. The only adult conversaton I get is on here with you ladies. I told a friend the other day, sometimes I feel like walking out the door and just keep walking and just leaving everyone here. Its sad but I don't know the 1st thing about myself. My favorite color, my favorite food, what I like to do in my spare time, what I like about myself. Nothing, I've been catering to peple for so long that I don't have anything.... sorry if TMI :)
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I don't go out but, then again, I have no urge to go out. I'm not a social person. But I take time for myself every day. I don't believe my kids need my constant attention every moment they are awake. When they are home (my older 3 are in school during the week and it's just me and my 3yo at home) they are off doing their own thing. I'm proud of their independence. They don't need me to take care of them any more (they are 9, 8, 7 and 3 by the way).
    Usually I watch some TV or read or write or knit. Whatever I feel like it. They come to me when they need attention but I spend a good amount of time alone every day because I need it. I tried doing it the other "way" and I ended up having a nervous breakdown from the stress of doing everything for everyone.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:16 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Shyma, it's so funny that you say that because when I see my boyfriend's nephew, who is 13, he always tries to strike up a conversation with me and it starts with "so, what do you like to do?" I never know what to say!! I don't KNOW what I like to do! You sound just like me.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I get 8 hours a day to myself since all of our boys are in school this yr. I feel out of sorts though,lol.. I clean, take care of paperwork for my Hubby, take the dogs for walks, and run errands but I still feel weird. I'll probably get used to it around the time they are out for Summer break!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• The only time I really get to myself is during nap time (like now). Or when I take the laundry to the laundry mat. My hubby has drill that sometimes takes him away all weekend and when that happens I call my to BFF and they come over I put my DS to bed and we just sit around and have some drinks and talk. That only happens about every 4 or 5 months.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Not including the 50 hours a week that I work... I would say that I get a day 14 hrs to myself. I get 8 hrs when my son is in school and during two nights a week from 7 until I go to bed (which is about 3 hrs a night). He stays with his grandparents on these nights because I have to work the weekends and dont want to wake him up so early when he can sleep in plus they watch him while I work so it's more convenient for all of us.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 2:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2009