Would you put your child in daycare if you were a SAHM?

Stupid question, huh?
I place my son -14 mo- in daycare about 8 weeks ago in order to start a full time job. He kept getting sick, and by sick I mean he only went 1 full week- and I wound up having to stay home with him so much they fired me. I hate to rip him away from his new friends, just to throw him back into daycare when I get a new job. Plus, since his dad only has off 1 day per week and uses that day to lay around, I am a mother 7 days a week, even though I'm also the coordinator for CVHFH, on a volunteer basis. Additionally, it was miserable leaving him in the first place, let alone trying to get him accustomed to another daycare. I also wonder if I can ever work a day job again, with how he got SO many colds. My hope is that by putting him in one day a week, he'll be used to the environment and not get so sick next time I work.
Would you do the same?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've never had a reason to. I've been a SAHM for 9 years and have no plans of working if I don't have to. I have 4 kids and they are home with me (or in school) 24/7. I haven't even been away from my youngest (3 1/2) for more then a couple hours at a time. She goes almost everywhere with me because it's mostly just me and her. My husband is gone 14 hours a day (leaves before we get up and comes home at bedtime) so I'm on my own all day long.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:12 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• im sure there will be some bashing for this question,,hmm no i wouldnt because im not much of a daycare person and if i didnt have to I most likely wouldnt. Good luck finding a job! =]]
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 10:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I would wait until preschool so he could get used to being around other kids before starting kindergarten.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:18 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• If you can afford it, and you like the daycare, why not give him the experience? It'll make him better at napping away from home, help him develop social skills and learn how to behave in a structured environment. It'll also give you one day a week where you can schedule appointments and do projects that are difficult with a toddler underfoot.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• all part of the planning process when you decide to have a baby! i gave up my high-paying career to stay home with my children for 8 years. i just started working again as a teacher (earned my master's and teaching certificate while a sahm), and love it! the sacrifice of beign a sahm is worth it, but it takes a team effort--something you don't have with your boyfriend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• No I wouldnt.
    What would be the point of staying home then?
    I do get your point tho . I had lost a job because my son was always sick in daycare./
    I just staied home and he made friends with some negihbor kids whose moms staied home too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I'm sorry you had so much trouble and your little guy was getting ill. It does happen for some children but eventually they build up their immunity. If this were me, and I wanted or needed to work, I would place my son in a day care setting several mornings a week for six months. This way I can feel comfortable with my chosen placement, get to know the staff, and my child's body has time to adjust to his new environment. Winter and illness in schools and daycares for first timers is very hard. Even for adults. Each time I worked in a new setting I got everything under the sun. After six months you can look for a full time job. Also having a back up person to take care of him if possible. I have volunteered to watch three children for a coworker when she needs someone on the weekend while she works. She is a single mom and my little boy could use some playmates. Good luck and I know it is hard to leave him.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:02 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Not a stupid question at all. You need some time off, even a few hours one day a week. I'm sorry your husband does not help, he helped make that baby he needs to grow up.
    Anonymous

• All of your concerns are reasonable. If he likes it there and enjoys his new friends, then let him keep going part time. He'll building up his immune system and ideally, if/when you get another job it won't be as hard on either of you with sickness or transition. The way I see it, your child with either get sick now while adjusting to germs at day care, or he'll be sick when he starts Pre-K or K and miss school then. So it's up to you.
    Anonymous

• Its not a stupid question at all. Unfortunately I not fortunate enough to be a SAHM and I had to go back to work soon after having my daughter. My daughter has been in childcare since she was 2 months old. I am a teacher, so I have summers off and I use that time to stay home with my daughter, but even during that time I keep her in childcare atleast part time and schedule structural things for her to do. I like structure and besides her getting sick, I do feel like she enjoys being around the other children since its just me and her at home and it does help with her schedule and napping from her. It also gives me time to get things done, like go to the doctor or dentist without having to drag a toddler with me.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2009