How do you teach them to sit down?

I always knew how to teach a dog to sit but kids are apparently different....

My toddler has learned to climb onto the sofa. NOW WHAT? Help! Lol...

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's not allowed on the sofa? That's what it sounds like. Unfortunately, it only takes one time of him falling off to learn to sit down...something have to be learned the hard way. If he can't learn to sit on the sofa, then he isn't allowed on it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• At our house may it be climbing on to the kitchen table chairs, couch, it's either sit down or get down. I ask once, if he doesn't listen I remove him from what ever it is he is climbing or standing on. You have to constantly remind them though. I tell me son that we don't stand on the furniture, that Mommy and Daddy don't stand on the couch.
    Anonymous

• Consistancy. at this age they are so curious it's hard to get them to sit still. But once they climb up, put them into the sitting position and tell child this is how you sit. you sit on the couch. If they don't, put them on the floor. "fi you want to stand, stand on the floor. the couch is for sitting only."
    Anonymous

• My son has just learned to climb onto our futon and his favorite thing is the stand on it. This might take a while, but I just sit him down and say "We don't stand up on the couch". He'll get right back up and I'll sit him right back down and repeat myself. I don't know how long it will take before he understands, but that's the only way I know to get him to learn to sit down.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:05 AM on Nov. 9, 2009