How much do you spend(total) On Christmas-gifts,decor,food etc??

I get so overwhelmed about christmas. My kids want everything,I have family and friends kids to buy for,teachers ect. I need new decorations this year. I perged my decor last year because I knew if I did not we would have the crappy junkie stuff forever. I thought we would buy a new false tree this year as we have had the old one for about nine years.
What do you spend all together???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Holidays

• Well, last year was our first year together in our apartment and we didn't have any decorations, plus it was also our son's first Christmas, so I went crazy. I think the total was somewhere around $3000. But this year my credit cards are maxed out, my job is over and we have so many toys I can't walk in a straight line without hearing one sing. So, probably not $3000...
    Make cookies for neighbors and teachers- if you make about 5 or 6 types, you can send your kids around the table choosing the cookies for each person and making the plates pretty.
    Kmart is one of my favorite places for holiday decor. You can get great Xmas decorations online, and also on Black Friday. Wal Mart isn't bad, either, but the stuff there is pretty cheap- Kmart decorations stay together better.

sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• We spend about $1200. on gifts. And food for christmas eve usually runs about $75. for our meal, and decorations varies. This year i went to Sears and bought up several pieces of the Chrsitmas Story items to display, so this year i spent alot on decorations.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 11:04 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I normally spend $150 for each of my kids, $20 each for my brother, sister, mom, dad, and 3 nieces and nephews. Teachers get homemade gifts (bookmarks, pencil holders, etc). Neighbors and friends get baked treats. We hand make about 90% of our decorations, and we just add to our "collection" every year. It's neat to have the ornaments the kids made. I also have a bunch of crocheted snowflakes I've had for 2 years that are just beautiful that go on the tree. I spend maybe $50 on items to make our decorations and any premade items I need. Christmas dinner for our family of 5 can be bought for under $50. We have ham, turkey breast, homemade cornbread dressing, corn, green beans, rolls, cranberry sauce, homemade brownies, and a cobbler along with real hot chocolate and spiced cider. We buy a fresh tree every year for $35. So total I probably spend $650 or so on average because I find things on sale.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I usually spend about $1400 on gifts, $100 on baking (I bake a lot), and not really anything on decorations- well, maybe $20 or less if I see something I really like. I keep everything and add to it each year. We also drive to grandmas house for Xmas- and that cost a few hundred round trip.

It can be overwhelming- but to me it is overwhelming in a good way.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 1:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• $3200 on presents. $300 of it on just my kids. About $300 on decorations.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 6:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Last year I spent 10,000 on the kids alone. About 2000 on hubby, he spent about 2000 on me....about 1000 on my parents...Not sure what we spent on everyone else and instructors, etc.

Decor we do not have to spend tons on. I maybe spent 300 on decor last year. We already have very nice things...Dept, 56 villages, nice decorations, several trees with good decorations, so that is not a big deal.

Food...I usually spend about 250 for Christmas eve food spread....maybe 300....Christmas morning breakfast, probably arouns 75 total.....and Christmas dinner probably around 150 or so....(Turkey is not that pricey, so with the trimmings that is cheaper than Christmas eve).

I do not know exactly.
    YuppyMom

Answer by YuppyMom at 10:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I do too much. I literally buy all year so that I can afford it and not get overwhelmed. We were poverty ridden growing up. It was very hard and I just can't bare having a Charlie Brown Christmas now. Thats why I'm so sad for everyone in pain and suffering because of our economy.
    Anonymous

• Whoa you buy new decor every year? I knew we were doing something wrong. We pay 25 bucks for a tree and throw whatever is in the basement on it...sooooo 25 on decor. We did spend $30 last year on a wreath...the star we normally have on the door just wasn't Christmas-esque....

Gifts...maybe like $1000 all together...maybe less...we buy for mostly adults and our kid could careless what she gets as long as there's a pair of shoes and a hoodie.

Food...like $200
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 11:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• i would say we spend $20 to $50 per year on decor. And about $20 of that is for our tradition of getting one special ornament each year to commemerate something in our lives that year,(engagement, wedding, children, new home, pet etc)

I honestly have no idea how much i spend on christmasgifts total, but i have a large family and we are big on christmas. However, i do not go overboard. I spend about $10-$15 per person for about 20 people,
    Then for my kids I do one semi big gift(this year it's bikes) and a medium toy or two, and stuff that they need clothes shoes bubble bath etcetc.
    All together i spend a bit but not an excessive amount. I try to keep it simple Istart as early as i can. I am blessed to have no car or mortgage payments anymore, so I keep a small Walmart card that is no interest for a year on purchases over $300. i use that for the big stuff .
    mamasonja27

Answer by mamasonja27 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 10, 2009

• I've spent about $100 on decor. About $1000 on everyone's gifts, including kids, family, teachers, coaches, hubby, etc. What we do is we have a Capital One card for $1000. We use that for Christmas gifts only. We make the payments until our income tax check comes and we pay the card off and don't touch it until next christmas. If you are worried about buying for lots of people and not wanting to spend a lot of money, I suggest shopping on abcdistributing.com. They have really nice and cheap gift items and who's to say you can't get the same thing for everyone? (Aunts, grandparents, teachers, whatnot) That's what I do. Also AC Moore has tons of cute stuff. You could also try getting your kids pictures taken and giving them as gifts with a nice frame. (Walmart has frames for like $3.00) Or do your shopping all year long. Just remember where you put everything. Write down everything you buy so you don't forget!

Good luck!
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 12:14 AM on Nov. 15, 2009