What do you think about the name Judah?

We are planning on naming our baby Judah and everyone in the family voices their opinion that they really don't like the name. It hurts our feelings. What do you guys think?

babyphillips210

Asked by babyphillips210 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I really don't like it. Wasn't he a bad person in the bible?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• What about Jonah? Do you like that? I'm just not a big fan of Judah, sorry.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 10:23 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I really like it.  I am partial to unique names though.  My family really didn't like my daughter name.  We named her Aalijah (pronounced like Elijah, but with an A) and they came up with nick names for her before they even came to see her... actully only my mom has seen her.  I know it stinks when people don't like the name and they voice their opinions on it.  Let me know if you want to chat more about it... and I am sorry you are dealing with this!

gacgbaker

Answer by gacgbaker at 10:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Actually Judah was some what of a hero in The Bible.

Judah was one of the twelve sons of Jacob. His mother was Leah, who also gave birth to Reuben, Levi, Simeon, Issachar and Zebulun. Judah was the founder of one of the 12 Tribes of Israel. A region of Israel, which included the city of Jerusalem, was named after Judah. In fact, Judah became the name of the southern kingdom when Israel divided into two kingdoms about 2900 years ago.

Judah played a role in saving the life of his brother Joseph. When Joseph's brothers had plotted to leave Joseph in a pit to die, Judah convinced his brothers to sell Joseph to Ishmaelites, rather than letting him die.
    babyphillips210

Answer by babyphillips210 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Exactly PP, I'm not one to talk. We named our son Dagan and my mom HATED it. She called him dagger. I know they wouldn't care what I named him, but it also didn't bother me what they thought!!! You shouldnt either. Maybe I don't like the name Judah, but I'm sure a lot of people don't like the name Dagan (I've had more compliments on his name then anything negative) but that wouldn't have stopped me from naming him that!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 10:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I was Judas Iscariot who sold Jesus to the Romans for crusifixion for 30 pieces of silver. I like the name Judah, but it does sound close to Judas. The New Testament refers to Judaas as Judah as well. Whatever, its your choice. My husband wanted to name our DD Olive! I was like NOOOOO! ;-)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:35 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• We plan on calling him Jude for short, as in Hey Jude... That way it gives my family a easy nickname to call him by.
    babyphillips210

Answer by babyphillips210 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• OOO, I really like Jude.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I like the name Judah.... but if ya are gonna call him Jude... why not just name him Jude? Whats the purpose of naming him something and calling him something else?
    Kennedysmommy13

Answer by Kennedysmommy13 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• The reason we will call him Jude for short is really to make my family more comfortable with the name. We are very passionate about the name Judah so I will be calling him Judah but I really just wanted to give other family members a easy nickname.
    babyphillips210

Answer by babyphillips210 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 8, 2009