How can God let this happen in the first place?

Before I go further into my question, I want to stress that I am not challenging anyone's faith. I do not want disrespectful remarks either regarding Christianity or atheism or agnosticism. I was simply pondering this this morning and wanted to see how others would answer this. I have a friend whose 5 year old son with autism escaped her hold and ran into traffic. A car came within 10 ft of hitting him. On her Facebook account, she thanked God for saving him. I wondered, if God is omniscient, omnipresent and omnificent, how he could have let the little boy run into traffic in the first place. For that matter, why would he have given her little boy the disorder at all? This question occurs to me every time I hear on the news people thanking god for hearing their prayers after some disaster--like when a tornado spared some people seeking refuge in a church, but killed others in a church down the road. How do you explain?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because God will not interfere with free will. He allows evil to rule to test the faith of His followers. I would recommend reading "The Shack" It will help you to understand better what I mean by free will.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• St. Augustine discusses this in his philosophical studies. He discusses the issue of free will, the problem of evil, and the power of God. He explains the question, "Is God so powerful He can create a stone He himself cannot lift?"

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:12 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Everthing happens for a reason. I personally dont think that autism is a bad thing. We just dont understand it b/c ppl that have autism operate on a higher plane than the rest of us. As for God, well he is just another figment for ppl to either blame or thank.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:13 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I don't know what happened with the response I just wrote. Somehow "delete your answer" appeared where I had expanded on my original question. I'll try again.
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:22 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• see alot of confusion comes from that line of questioning!!! you're not alone in wondering this. God does not have anything to do with our lively ailments; but He does have everything to do with our inner strength!!! God doesn't spare or personally reach out to save a life; but i believe His angels do(gaurdian angel). it depends on our faith in God what we can over come! no one can tell what goes on in the mind of a person with autism/scitzophrenia/or any other similar ailment; so what made the boy feel to need to run into the street we will never know! how the boy was lucky not to be hit, and how mom thank God just shows her faith in Him!!! i have an ok relationship with God(i'm a sinner), and i've been through hell and back but i tried to never blame God for my hardships, but instead remind myself that i suffer because of my belief and pure love for our heavenly father(my personal belief!). you're not alone by thinking that!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Though I'm not Christian, I do have an Autistic son and different religious beliefs. I believe that my son was given to me to open the eyes of those in this world who know nothing about Autism. I also believe he was born this way to teach me to be more patient, which I was horrible at before he was born. As for her son running into traffic, I feel that's more on the parent, period. It is HER responsibility to make sure her kid is safe, no one else's. Yes, accidents happen, but that is more like a disaster. There are many things she could have done to prevent that from happening. I'm glad she has someone to thank, but she should chide herself most of all. JMO
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:30 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I don't understand how "free will" and "evil" fit into those scenarios. For example, a community near where I live was struck by devastating torandoes. Citizens sought refuge in local churches and prayed fervently that they would be saved. One church was leveled, and many people in it died. Another church down the road suffered some damage, but no one inside was injured. Why? No one had the free will to cause a tornado, or to allow that sort of damage, so it must have been their god's will. My friend did not have the free will to choose autism for her child, nor did I for mine, yet they have it. If my friend's child had the free will to run into traffic, then it was the driver's free will to stop her car in time, so how does god merit thanks for that? Does my friend thank god for her son's free will to run into traffic, or for the driver's free will to stop in time? This is the sort of thing that confuses me.
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I feel that I should add that, while I do not think autism is a "good thing", it is a part of my daughter, whom I love with all my heart. I do not like that she will face so many more challenges in her lifetime than her typically-developing peers, and that is why I wish she did not have the disorder. However, I did not bring up autism in my question to turn this into an autism discussion. It just plays a role in my attempt to understand religion and faith.
    As for my friend, her son is severely autistic, and a runner. She is a good mother. But even the best of mothers can't be in all places at all times. She did the best she could with the circumstances, but he still got away from her. She lived through some very terrifying moments and is very shaken by them.
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:37 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Why would anyone believe that it is God's job to keep everything working in a way that each of us would feel was optimal?
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2009