Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just found out my dog has heartwroms.

Rescued her about a year ago and got her healthy again and to the vet for her check and to get spayed. (Yes it took me longer than i planned unfortunately) Well she is VERY positive for heart worms. The local mobile vet where i got her shots told me she was positive and gave me the monthly heartwom preventative and I gave it to her and she has been not eating much or active since. I took her to a regular vet and they told me she has tons of baby heartworms and that i really need to do heartworm treatment but i dont have the $1000 to do it. I love her but i dont even know if the treatment will work for her or not. she may still die before the treatment is done.

Anyone have any info on heartworms?? She is 50% inside and 50% outside.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Pets

Answers (7)
  • We rescued our dog in October, she was heartworm positive and we started treatment. She was in stage 2. So far it's cost us 500.00 to have her treated and she's doing very well. If you don't or can't have her treated please call a rescue group in your area and let them have her. She deserves the chance to be treated. When you take on a responsibility you have to see it through.
    Maybe call a few different vets, see if they have a payment plan if you want to keep her, otherwise find her a new home. GL Message me if you want help finding a place for your dog, I will do what I can to help.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:44 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • OP:

    I dont want to give her up and being heartworm positive wont make it any easier to find her a home. my daughter will be devastated as well. I will take her to another vet for sure because i dont like the one she saw the other day. His "doggie" bedside manner left alot to be desired1

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • Keep her on the heartworm meds the heartworms will eventually die as long as she is not being reinfested while not on the meds. But it will take longer then if she had the treatment to get rid of them. If it is a heavy infestation though having the treatment done would be the best way to go.

    Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • If she's in stage 4 she will likely need surgery to remove the adult worms. The heartworm preventive won't work if she's in the late stages. She needs the treatment, it will be painful and make sure she stays very calm during the treatment. No running, jumping, exercise, etc. We have been going through this for over a month now and it's been a hard road for our girl and she was only in stage 2.
    I wasn't talking about giving the dog to another family, i was referring to a rescue or the vet. Sorry if you think I'm being mean but the dog needs immediate help. GL

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • I agree with MrsLeftLane. If you can't afford to pay for the treatment, give her up to a rescue group. They will have her treated before finding her a new home. It's not fair to her to keep her and not get the treatment. Heartworms are nothing to mess around with.

    Answer by Christina807 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • ok i had a dog that i rescued in the same shape her name was brittany...i loved her very much and decided to go with the heartworm treatment even though it was very expensive..she lived and done fine..its not uncommon for dogs to act funky the first few days after a heartworm treatment even the month sure you will do whatever you can with her and for know just bc she has heartworms does not mean that you will love her any less and if you cant afford to treat her do keep her and love her for what time she has left...i wish you the best of luck and do understand your situation greatly....

    Answer by jorjiegirl at 7:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • OP:

    Not sure what stage she is in. Ive done some reading on the net and she isnt coughing or having a hard time breathing. Im going to ask the vet today what stage she is in. She is being fixed today. Im also going to call around to some other vets and see if they do the treatment any cheaper. Ive heard it varies.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.