how often do you wash your dog?

Just wondering. My pit is 5 months and I dont want her to get sick from bathing too much and then going on walks in (Ga) cold - trick weather.

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 11:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Pets

• I have ours groomed every 2/3 months depending if the weather has been really nasty. Ours are all indoor dogs so they don't get really dirty. In between I use Doggy wipes and it keeps them smelling nice.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:47 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I have to bath my dogs about every 2-3 weeks because they have long hair. Make sure you are using good dog products so you don't have to worry about their skin. If your dog is stinky, give a bath. Just don't take your dog on a walk right after. You can always blow dry as well. That's what I do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• About once a month give or take depending on the weather. Or whenever he gets "overly stinky".
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• We have to wsh our dog once a week due to dd allergies. He is her dog. We can't get rid of him or she will be very upset with us. She still talks about Draco (dh's iguana that passed away). I doubt she would let the dog leaving slide even a little.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 1:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• What ever breed she is, always use a product that will kill ticks and fleas. Bathing on a 4-6wks sced is good if you use a good shampoo for dogs and they have not gotten skin conditions requiring medicated shampoos. During winter months that they play in snow ,no baths are needed but wipe them down with dry shampoo to remove dirt and dander from fur. Always make sure you clean the ears out with a ear cleaner,clip the toe nails every 4-6 wks. If mud is their play area then you will have to give a warm bath..use your shower indoors if you have one..lol Always remember to rinse all the soap off. Dogs are pretty hardy if they are outside dogs and used to the climet. Sporting dogs are in the water all the time in the fall. So use your judgement and keep your pup clean, so they stay healthy.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• In the winter i don't bathe mine often unless they get really stinky. Dogs should not be bathed to to often because that will strip the oils in their skin and cause skin problems. In the summer my dogs get bathed a lot more often due to the fact that they spend time in the water and running in my cousins cow fields so they get rather smelly.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• In the summer, I bathe my boxer/pit every two weeks. In the winter, it's more like once a month. I work at a vet clinic as a groomer's assistant, so I bring my dog with me to work and I get to use the tub with the hydrosurge and all the great shampoo there, and he likes it because he gets to spend the day with mom. :)
    Pits are short-furred animals so bathing often isn't necessary unless they've been outside rolling in the dirt, or if they have fleas, etc. I only bathe mine every two weeks because he's inside, and I like it when he smells pretty, lol.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:11 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I have Shelties. I bathe them once every week or two depending on how stinky/dirty they get. They are inside about 75% of the time, but when they're outside they chase each other, wrestle each other, and mouth/bite each other so they do get stinky/dirty. I try to brush their hair/teeth every couple of days and that seems to help a little.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:39 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I go running with my Golden almost everyday and she goes off leash in the woods...needless to say, she gets muddy. I rinse her well with a hose almost everyday (even in winter) and give her a soapy bath once or twice a week.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2009