Do you have to go to hospital if you think your having a miscarriage?

I think i am having a miscarriage do i need to go to hospital or can i just use pads to catch the heavy bloody flow!!

christinaizere

Asked by christinaizere at 11:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You have to go to make sure everything comes out the way its supposed to. Otherwise something can get left inside you and you can get very sick and possibly die. If you think you are having one, and I pray that you aren't, go now just to make sure. Dont leave your body to chance!
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 12:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I don't think it's necessary, i had my miscarriage in September and all they did at the ER was give me tylenol some pads and sent me home, they told me to follow up with my dr to make sure it all came out. If i ever have another i will stay home and have one, then just make an appointment with my dr for a check up. GL and i hope everything turns out okay.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Shyma, that's incorrect. Almost all women will miscarry perfectly well on their own. If you go to the hospital now all they will do is confirm (or deny, that happens too) that you are having a miscarriage and send you home. They might offer a D&C, but in almost every case it is unnecessary.

It's up to you. If you have a history of missed miscarriage then you should make an appointment to see your doctor. If you don't, then you can wait it out at home. If you don't see a clump of tissue come out, if you start to feel a lot of uterine pain and tenderness, start running a fever or your discharge has a foul odor to it, then go to the ER. Infections do happen in women who decide to miscarry at home, but D&C is surgury, and it's almost always unnecessary to do it to every woman who's having a miscarriage.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Blessings!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Your other question said you're only 2wks after ovulation....basically around the time of your period. Are you sure you were pregnant? I wouldn't go to the ER unless it's an emergency.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 12:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Halfpint just pointed out that you are really early in your pregnancy... in that case you probably won't see a clump of tissue. So don't worry about that. If you're only 4 weeks (2 weeks after ovulation) then the baby would be the size of a poppyseed. You probably won't see it at all.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• It's a good idea to go to rule out complications.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• reading your other posts this could also be implantation bleeding. if you are really worried you should go to the er to check. they will run blood work and probably do an u/s. i hope that everything will work out for you. good luck
    Anonymous

• Call your ob and see what they want you to do. When I miscarried I had to go to the hospital.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 5:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2009