Do you think my daughter is getting fat from eating cafetteria food everyday?

Her home lunch isn't really different,except she eats cherry pies and that dreaded chocolate milk I hear is bad for them.We have gotten a free lunch pass and so we tried her eating there everyday .It's hard to take it away from her since she has had it everyday.It's helped with the stress of feeding her,but now I stress that she's getting fat from the foods,mentioned above.She never eats pies at home or chocolate milk,so it's a kids thing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Honey.. on the contrary, the cafeteria foods are designed around a nutritional formula. It is mandatory that guidelines are followed. I seriously doubt that your daughter is getting fat from eating a fifteen minute lunch at school. However, if you are the type of parent that sits your child down in front of a TV or computer on his or her home time, without exercise, than it it no one's fault except your own. You have to make sure your child is getting the appropriate amount of exercise. I cannot believe you are trying to blame this on the school's food!!
    Anonymous

• Well, some kids go through chunky phases and then thin out when they get taller. That's what I did my whole adolecent life.

However, eating cherry pies every day is a BAD idea. That's a lot of unnecessary sugar and fat. One a week would be a nice treat.

I don't think the chocolate milk is the problem. They only give them one little carton of it (at least everywhere I went to school), and it's 1% milk. It has a lot of sugar in it too, but it's not like it's horrible or anything. I'd say encourage her to eat really healthy foods at home, to have ONE cherry pie a week and let her have her chocolate milk, but encourage exercise or play time (depending on her age).
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Anon :24, not all schools do this, and a child can still eat the wrong things. LIke cherry pies every day.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• How much does your DD weigh and what is her height and age? Have you charted her to see what percentage she's in? I would just make sure she's getting plenty of exercise to balance out any extra calories. I am paranoid about the same for our 5 yr old cause I was a fat kid. She's been introduced to chocolate milk for the first time at age 5 and is loving it. We just make sure that she gets at least 5 servings of fruits/veggies at home. Even if she gains a little chunk, all kids go through a phase at some point before they grow vertically.
    mom22littlegirl

Answer by mom22littlegirl at 12:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• when my kids eat a bad meal, I detox them for dinner. A vegetarian entree, 2 or 3 veggie sides, and a fresh fruit dessert.

PS that chocolate milk is low fat, I promise.

Also give a very, very filling big hearty breakfast in the morning.... and if possible send a banana or baggie of fresh nuts or something for her to nibble on the bus or during recess (if allowed)

we're talking 5 meals a week out of 21 here. Make the other 16 *REALLY* healthful and she'll be fine.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• How much activity does she get? It's calories in and calories out.
    Anonymous

• Yup, I would definitely blame the school. After all she eats 5 out of 21 meals a week there. SO it can't have anything to do with your household or any factors outside of school. I would sue them. Does she have any other problems? They are probably the school's fault too.

Just kidding, I don't mean to sound mean. But if you don't like the free lunch the school provides send lunch from home. School lunches meet a minimum requirement for nutrition that unfortunately, is better than what many get at home. If you're concerned about her health take control you're her mom, but don't point fingers.

Anonymous

• She is eating 75% of her meals at home. Think about it.
    Anonymous

• I'd be concerned too. School lunches are crap for the most part, they get the worst ingredients and rarely do anything good with them. They only get a few minutes to eat too so kids tend to gobble down the worst stuff and ignore the veggies. By all means let her eat them if you must, I know free school lunches go a long way towards stretching a tight budget, but compensate by cooking healthy food at home and making sure she gets an hour of physical activity each day.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• seriously? No. I have eaten lunch with my kids. My 13 yo gets 4 chicken nuggets, a small salad, a scoop of corn, a handful of fries and a peice of fruit. The boy is starving when he gets home. Most of her food consumption is being eaten at home.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2009