When are they deemed trained?

S/O to my other question about punishment.
How long does a child have to be potty trained for before peeing in their pants is a punishable offense?
I mean, you would punish a 7 year old (with no developmental delays) for this wouldn't you? So, lets say a child has been trained for a year with no accidents and one day they pee their pants because they were too busy doing something. Would that constitute a punishment if they had been told to go and they didn't? Or, would this still be a case where punishment would ruin their self esteem and they are still in the training phase?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No I wouldn't punish a 7 year old for having an accident even if it happened because they were busy doing something else. If they stood there and purposely peed just to prove a point (my niece used to do this) then yes they would get punished, but she specifically said she was going to pee her pants so mom would have to clean it up and then laughed. Hell I occasionally still have little moments where I leak a little because I am busy and don't take the time to go.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I'll never ever punish for potty things .... those bowel and bladder muscles don't grow at the same rate as the rest of the kids body. Accidents can happen til middle school sometimes! Especially at night, road trips, and fun activities when they get distracted and forget to "go"

punishing for bathroom oops's whether or not you think they're genuine is a bad idea. Chances are your kiddo will get a complex.... get anxious about bathrooming and make it worse.

Give them more responsibility. Buy them a potty watch (google it) it's not lame/tacky or embarassing and is plenty appropriate for a 7 yr old. It's got a special count down on it so they can make sure and toilet at regular intravals so they reduce and then eliminate accidents til their bowels/bladder muscles tighten up enough
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Never punish a child for accidents, even if you think it is lazy. All kids have occasional accidents- it's normal! Don't make a big deal, just "uh-oh you forgot to go!" clean him up and get on with the day. I know you think he is old enough to know better, but I promise one day you will look back at this and be shocked at how little he really was.
    Reminding him to go is helpful, but all kids get distracted, or stay too long playing and then have an accident - it's part of the learning process of the limits of their little bodies. - Have to reach your limit to know where it is
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I used this hysterical music book for my kid and it worked. My girlfriend used it for her special needs kids at her school and it worked. It is called "Island Potty Party" by The Playdate Kids. Book includes a CD, sheet music and cartoon illustration of where poop comes from. It is fun, entertaining and the kids love the Island beat and congo line to the bathroom. www.theplaydatekids.com
    tmfanning

Answer by tmfanning at 4:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Why do you want to punish your child so bad? Try it and see how that works out for you. Let us all know how you punished and how it worked and how many punishments it took before it never happened again. We would like to know this.
    Anonymous