Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can my daughter......

My Daughter is 15 and no longer wants to "live" 2 nights a week at her dads like she's been doing. She would rather "hang out" with him and do things with him, but the 38% visitation rights he has with her, are not working for her anymore. This has nothing to do with him, but rather, her life is getting busier and he lives 30 minutes away from all of her friends. Legally, what can I do for her to make this happen, if anything?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Answers (9)
  • I suppose you should talk to him about it and then try to work out with the lawyers or court. MAKE SURE YOUR DAUGHTER EXPLAINS IT CLEARLY TO HIM AND THE COURT.

    Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • Talk to a Lawyer and go back to court.

    Answer by louise2 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • My son used to have open visitation with his boifather, he was only 10 when he requested it and told the law guardian his reasons and he told the judge that DS had legitimate reasons and the judge granted it. We live in NY and it basically made it so DS never "HAD" to go there but he could pick and choose when he wanted to go. You could call family court and ask for visitation o be modified to that.

    Answer by goaliemom93 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • mabe try the every other weekend thing. she is old enough to speak for hersefl in court if he doesnt like the idea and trys to fight u guys.

    Answer by angelairelan at 1:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • Has she tried talking to her dad? Maybe she could just hang out with him on weekends that are convienient for them both. If she is just wanting to hang with her friends I would have to tell her she needs to spend time with her dad and that is a priority but there is no reason they can't work something out. After all, by the time a kid is 15 they don't want to hang out with either parent for hours at a time.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • Right. When my current husband went through this with his son, it was different. His son requested this when he was 12, and although both my H and his X live 10 minutes away from one another, and had up to then shared 50% visitations with him, my H never fought it and made special "guy" time with his son. It did break my H heart though bcuz he took better care of his son than his X did, as she was always traveling for business. But, he didn't want to upset his sons wishes.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • i would just talk to dad about it so there are no hurt feelings and it doesnt have to be a court issue

    Answer by shay1130 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • SHE needs to talk to her dad about it and THEY need to come up with a compromise. I am sure that he would understand her situation and want her to be happy and have a fun and wonderful high school years. Get the new agreement in writing so there are no questions or problems later.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

  • She is afraid to talk to him because she's certain he won't understand. He can be very emotional in front of her, and she's never wanted to hurt either of our feelings. This is what she tells me when I suggest she tell him. So, she's been venting to me of how unhappy she is that she still has to "live" over there. I would step in and relay the message to him, but he doesn't like me very much and it would make things even worse.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.