Anyone ever have an infant on a high calorie diet?

My 8.5 month old DD Evelyn has had various health problems leading to her being weaned to formula. Anyway her growth began plateauing again so the Dr recommended a high calorie diet- 3 scoops to every 5 onuces. She already has difficulty eating but now its worse than ever! She will only eat maybe 2 ounces at a time as oppsed to the 6-8 she was! She is still doing alright with baby food, so I guess I am wondering if maybe she just needs to get used to it? It probably doesn't help that she is on Similac Alimentum due to a severe milke protein allergy and that stuff smells NASTY. Anyway just looking for some tips or encouragement that maybe this is normal I worry about her.
Don't have enough room to post all her troubles but you can go read my journals if you would like to know more. Thanks.

SweetPea05

Asked by SweetPea05 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine was on enfacare which was the same thickness and dose as the regular, it just has mare calroies than the regular formula. Maybe it's too thick for your baby the way it's being mixed. Ask the pedi about other ways to increase the calories. maybe there's a vitamin type suppliment you can add or different foods that are naturally higher in calories that your baby can tolerate. Perhaps, it would be better to see a nutritionist rather than the pedi, too.
    Anonymous

• Oh I should have added maybe, it wasn't the ped that put her on it it was her GI specialist. The problem with the regular high calorie formulas is her allergy, alimentum is the only one she can tolerate. It being too thick makes sense though because she has trouble swallowing. Maybe I will need to get in touch with him tomorrow, how do I go about finding her a nutritionist? Never thought of that....
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• What about Neocate? That is for babies with severe milk protein allergies. My daughter is on this. She has colitis, and I want her to be put on the Alimentum, vs. this. Alimentum is more for babies that have colitis and irritable bowel syndrome. I am very familiar with babies who have a hard time gaining weight, so why don't you suggest your child be put on something that packs on the calories like Projestimil? My oldest daughter was put on that, she is 4 now.. and it did help her out at first but due to her medical problems she still is VERY petite. I really hope this helps, I know how hard it is. She may just have to adjust still to the new formula. I would really recommend talking to her GI about the projestimil!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• not sure about how to find a nutritionist. A co worker recently found out her daughter has celiacs disease so she's seeing one. I think the pedi recommended. maybe the GI could recommend one too.
    Anonymous

• I had to seen feeding specialists along with nutritionists. You can call your local health department to see if they have a licensed nutritionist that work for them. Most do, if not they can point you in the right direction.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My DD had to be put on a high calorie diet at 7 months. We had to do the concentrated formula as well... She was not much of an eater. Have you tried mixing the concentrated formula with your expressed breast milk? It may help her to adjust to the flavor a little better. My DD had to be weaned that way. Food wise i noticed that Beechnut foods tended to be higher in calorie than Gerber foods. adding some avocado mashed in wheat cereal can be a helpful source of good fat as well. As far as making you feel better... My tiny daughter is now almost 2 and eats ALL THE TIME! She is still very small for her age but as it turns out that is just her. She will always be petite. It's okay though. tiny babies are cute! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Thanks for all the helpful tips ladies!

Butmommie- she has been weaned a few months do you think I would still be able to express any bm? Because that is a really great idea. As are the avocados I will have to do that!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Enfamil Nutramagin is a hypoalerginic formula that is still fairly thin even when mixed for the extra calories. Mine was on 26 cal mix and it was the best for being thin enough for easy digestion. Since your little one is getting older another option is Pediasure. My oldest is now on 3 Pediasure a day to keep her cal count up because she is still small. I hope that helps.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 2:04 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• You could attempt to re-lactate if you were willing to go for the long haul... If you have a good breast pump you can attempt to pump every 2 hours/4 hours at night and also try taking blessed thistle and fenugreek seed capsules. You may be a able to pull it off. Keep in mind there are adoptive parents who are able to breastfeed! It just would not be easy.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• pediasure is lactose free but is still made with milk so I would check with a ped first...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 AM on Nov. 9, 2009