Would you let your son read books like Little Women and Anne of Green Gables?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• my son is still pre-K but he'll be allowed to read whatever he wants
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Why not? Just because they have female main characters? There are still lessons for boys in those books.

Are you worried that they woudl "make him gay"? Because sweetie, if he's gay, not reading Little Women isn't going to change it, and reading those books won't make him gay. It might give him some insight into how women think, though, which would make him a catch lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Yes. Anyone that doesn't is clearly a moron.
    Anonymous

• OP- my son is just a toddler. I got a bunch of books from free cycle and I am just trying to decide if I should keep them for when he is older.
    Anonymous

• Yes, why not.

Answer by louise2 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Of course I would. Why not?
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Oh! lol. I wouldn't hang on to them for that long lol. They're classics, you can get them anywhere if he wants to read them, but he won't be ready for them for several years.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• kids now read so, so little..... dont limit books. if they're willing to read it, make it available!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I have copies of them and if my son chooses to read them I would encourage it. My son is only three but we have started reading chapter books to him before bed because he listens well. Certainly those books are on our list.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Anne of Green Gables happened to be on the summer reading list for my kids high school, so boys and girls alike had to read it. They made me read The Red Badge of Courage...not my first pick but hey you read what they tell you to.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:57 AM on Nov. 9, 2009