babies in helmets ..........

is there a medical reason for them?
OTHER than having spent too much time laying on floor, carseat, crib, swing, etc?

I wanna know if there's other reasons..... because I feel guilty that there could be. At this point when I see a baby in one I automatically assume the Mom was lazy or neglectful. anyone else feel that way?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• You should rethink your judgmental nature... it is unbecoming.

I think that's why she posted this...to become more educated about it and to change her way of thinking.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I know a set of twins that had to wear helmets because of the way they formed in the womb. You should rethink your judgmental nature... it is unbecoming.
    Anonymous

• Then she shouldn't have stated her judgment. She should have just asked the question without the rude tone.
    Anonymous

• well that's the point of asking! To change my opinion/thought process. I have no knowledge or facts, I am ignorant on the subject and seeking information.

I dunno if they'll admit it or not but I'd imagine a lot of Moms also lacking details on the condition would also assume they're just flat headed from being not cared for properly.... seen that on some varies shows, etc... and not enough tummy time. Isn't that why in the last 5+ years they've been promoting tummy time so hardcore? Too many babies ending up in the helmets?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• My niece had to wear a helmet for a while (about a week?) after she had a brain tumor removed.
    Anonymous

• WOW, I really can't believe there are people like you out there. My friend's son has to wear a helmet. The reason- he has cancer, among other medical problems. The helmet protects his head. He is very fragile. And I am sorry, but I have never heard of a baby wearing a helmet because he didn't spend enough tummy time on the floor. Every child I have ever met that has to wear a helmet is because of medical reasons, not parent neglectfulness.

Anonymous

• my niece had to wear a helmet through her toddler years to protect her from grand mal siezures until her medication dosing was perfected. trust me her mother didn't cause the condition. wow.
    Anonymous

• The only time I've seen this was with a child that was highly prone to seizures. I've never evn heard of a child having to wear a helmet because of a flat head.. not saying that I don't believe it, just really never heard of it. But a child wearing a helmet is not something I see often..
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 2:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2009