Do you believe in spanking your children?

How do you feel about spanking as a form of discipline?

we do spank on occasion....after we have tried other options . i would rather not spank , but i believe that with some kids spanking is the only way to get your point across.
i often wonder that if people spanked more like they did in the 50's or 60's , would children be better behaved now a days ?? i think some parents spend to much time trying to " talk things out " with their kids and not enough time disciplining them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I won't spank mine. I will hit yours, though.
    Anonymous

• Back in the 50's 60's, there were more SAHM that were 'on their kids' butts' 24/7 rather than having sitters/daycare using one form of discipline and then having another set of rules at home. There were also less latch-key kids that were at home alone while the parents are still working. I don't think that this is so much a spank vs. not-spank issue but rather a consistency in discipline and attention to kids' upbringing.

And no, I do not spank.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I haven't had to spank yet, but I do pop hands and feet. I will spank when she is old enough and tries something warrants a spanking. We have started time outs because of attitude issues, and they seem to be working for now. Only time will tell.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I will spank my son if that's what it has to come down to. Obviously I will try other methods of discipline first and if those don't work, than sometimes spanking is the only thing that will. I was spanked as a child and I didn't grow up to be some messed up person with all these problems or issues. And never do I remember any of my spankings hurting. It was the fact that if my mom had to resort to that I knew I was in BIG trouble. Most of the time she only had to threaten to spank me and I shaped up real quick.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• One other thing I forgot to add. Kids back then (50/60's) only got toys as a privilege. These days, kids are raised to feel that getting what they want is a necessity. I remember playing ball with a stick and rock. Tell a kid to do that now, and the tantrum will come. We are raising our kids to think that they do not have to work to earn the RIGHT to those things.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I'll pop my 16 month old baby's hands if he won't stop touching something he shouldn't, sure. I spanked my older two until they were 7 or 8 and able to understand other forms of discipline.
    Anonymous

• yes i do. with my ds when he gets into things, i'll tell him 2 or 3 times, get down or stop it. If he doesnt, he'll get a swat on his tushie and that usually makes him stop. I do not tolerate children hitting me or throwing themselves on the floor for attention. My oldest is now in her teens and she only got spanked once and she never had a tantrum again. when she got older she did something bad, but at that point i dont spank, i just take everything out of her room for a week or so, depending on her "crime". now, i dont like to hit, i mean like leave a mark or on the face. I swat him on his tushie because that's where his diaper and pants are.
    Anonymous

• Hell ya!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

•  I swat him on his tushie because that's where his diaper and pants are.

So what are you going to do when he's out of diapers?

now, i dont like to hit, i mean like leave a mark or on the face

And that is like saying as long as you don't leave evidence, it's ok to beat the hell outta someone.  Believe me CPS deals with cases everyday where children are abused but have no visible marks.

Anonymous

• No. Talking is a form of discipline. There is positive discipline. It's not all pain and punishment. It's LEARNING how to behave, not forcing with fear. I think certain older kids are only responsive to spanking cause their parents never taught them anything else like they should have. Other than that, kids don't just *need* to be hit.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2009