Why do mother in laws always try to out do you

My mother in law is a very loving person and would give you the cloths off her back but she is very controling. Every year she always tries to out do me around the holidays. How can i raise my son to know the true meanings of easter and christmas when mommom always goes over bored with the presents and candy

31angelmommy3

Asked by 31angelmommy3 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• OMG---You just described my life. I swear to you that about 10 minutes ago, my in-laws called trying to buy this big rocking horse that I said I was buying my daughter for Christmas. It's so cute and it whinnies and it's tale moves. Well, yesterday I mentioned that i was buying that for her when we were talking about that store. Well, today they go there and call me asking which color we want and that they're going to buy it. So I said "well, we're buying that for her" and his dad was like "No, we want to buy it." I swear that they really don't think. It's not a $5 toy.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Whynot sit down and discuss the situation with your MIL? Only the two of you can decide how to "ix" this concern. Explain it's for her Grandbaby!
    Anonymous

• fix
    Anonymous

• I'm with the PP. Talk to your MIL maybe she just enjoys going overboard like that and not in an attempt to out do you. If you talk to her and let her know the direction you're trying to take your child maybe then she can be a part of the solution and not part of the problem. Let her help grandparents love to help (IMO) so tell her maybe this year instead of spoiling your child with gifts Maybe Grandma can use that money to take him out and donate food or Christmas decorations. She gets to do something with him that is good for him to learn and good for your community
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Don't and just let her do the spending. he he

Instead spend that money on yourself. LOL
    Anonymous

• Oh trust me we have talked and talked and talked til i was blue in the face. She just feels it necessary to spoil him. All im trying to say is that i want my son to understand why we celebrate christmas, easter, thanksgiving and appreciate the true meaning rather then being spoiled by the presents. I am very proud of the christmas that my husband and i provide for my son but at the same time how can we feel good when mommom blow our gifts out of this world with her millions of enormous extraordinary gifts. Its just frustrating. like im not doing enough for my son.

31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Your son lives under your roof, correct? Then raise him the way you see fit. She can do all she wants, but when it comes down to teaching, discipline, etc.. you are the sole one responsible for that. Teach him that those lessons in life are followed under your roof.
    Anonymous

• True but how do you go about doing that not seeming bitter, rude or offensive?

31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Very tough one... Maybe tell her that you appreciate her gifts but no thank you ... Maybe that will send the message through to her
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• *tail
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2009