Do you gender stereotype your children?

Why do some people insist that activities should be gender specific? I was reading this question, http://www.cafemom.com/answers/325408/would_you_enroll_a_boy_in_gymnastics
and i cant believe that someone would think that something like this would make a boy gay. This is not the only one i have seen. Same thing has happened with colors and toys. There are so many people forcing boys into "boys" stuff and girls into "girls" stuff. Though i would not take it as far as the video in one reponse to the question. Do you gender stereotype your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In today's society, I think it is perfectly okay to do this. WHY? Because our lives are being flooded with the notion that it is perfectly okay and normal to be Gay. I disagree. This is not how God meant for us to live. Sorry if that's offensive, but it's my feelings. Alot of fathers see this and feel that it is their job to teach their child to be a man. That's awesome! We need more fathers out there like this. Too many children are fatherless and too many boys are growing up very feminized... In fact, too many things these days are trying to feminize our men. I read on here the other day about a man taking maternity time off... That's ridiculous ladies.... Let our men be men. That's the way life should be.
    Anonymous

• No I do not gender stereotype my son. I don't care if he dresses up in my shoes or wants to put on my make up. He can play princess and loves to read books on princesses. He loves a lot of toys that are marketed for both genders. I buy "girl" toys and "boy" toys. He plays with both. My husband has no issues with it. I am married to a real man. A man who knows he can help with laundry, mow the lawn, and change diapers. We are raising our son that he is to be an equal partner to whoever it is he chooses to love. I am positive he will be a wonderful father. When he plays with his dolls he nurtures them the way his father nurtures him. I have no worries about what he will be or who he will love as he grows older. I just want him to be healthy and just to get older. The rest is cake. If he is gay I will welcome his partner just as I would welcome any woman.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I do not, but my husband occasionally does. As for the feminizing of our boys read this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/nov/06/health-eu. I don't think it is just the way they are being raised that is feminizing them. Boys playing with dolls does NOT make them gay. I have several gay friends who were very much "manly men" when they were in their teens etc and no one would have ever guessed they were gay.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• To an extent... I mean i dress my girl in dressed and my son in jeans. not that my daughter never wears jeans but she is always in a girly top... My son gets cars and trucks for his gift my daughter gets dolls and stuffed animals. My sons room is done in robots my girls is princess... Now all that being said: My daughter plays with light sabers and I let her. My son plays with dolls some and i let him. My son was in gymnastics at 3 and my daughter at 4 will play soccer I am sure... So there are thing I stereo type like clothing and gifts as well as room decore but I by no means dictate what they can and can not play base on sex.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• A bit. But you know what? She IS a girl, and girls are wired a bit differently than boys. That doesn't mean she can't play with trucks and a future son of mine couldn't take ballet.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I am so irratated by Anon's answer playing with dolls doesn't make you gay, neither does a man taking maternity leave to help his wife adjust to having a baby make him any less manly. I have two boys, who each have a play kitchen to cook at, they both have always been allowed to play with dolls, they even have a dollhouse. They both took gymnastics. But they are still very much boys, they love sports, transformers, dirt, bugs, etc etc. Am I at all concerned they are being over exposed to girl stuff absolutley not. Let your child be who they are, express themself how they choose, let them grow to be amazing men and women. Let them BE WHO THEY ARE.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 9:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Has anyone ever watched the Summer Olympics Men's gymnastics competition? Those are no girly-men there!! Gymnastics is definitely a masculine sport! They have to have incredible strength!

Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 12:37 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• i think it is harder with boys, not wanting them to be into all girly things, you wouldnt want to lead them in a way, like it is fine for you to wear pink and play barbies all day and then when you go to school get beat up for being a fag... i think most parents who inforce steriotypes think they are helping their kids to fit in socially.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:25 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• As a mom of 2 girls, I don't have a problem letting my girls play with plastic tools, watch handy Manny, or ride (slowly and with their daddy) on a 4 wheeler. But I think certain kids are drawn to certain things. Like my 3 yr old wants to wear her Cinderella dress when she is wearing her tool belt and her dad's hat. Whatever floats your boat is my motto. I think that boys should be allowed to play dress up and house or other "girl" games. Hey my dh played house with his girl cousins all the time and he's definitely not gay!! Let kids be kids!!!
    Amanda3525

Answer by Amanda3525 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2009

• , like it is fine for you to wear pink and play barbies all day and then when you go to school get beat up for being a fag

How about we strive to teach our children understanding that not all kids boys or girls like the same things, and to not EVER beat up a child because of what he or she wears or plays with, i think thats a bigger issue.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 3:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2009