How do you keep a toddler from picking his nose?

My 16 month old recently started this. Sometimes he'll even offer me what he pulls out!! I have been removing his fingers and trying to get him focused on something else but it's not working. I think this is because when my teenagers see him doing it, they laugh...so he thinks it's a great trick.

Any ideas?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 2:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At least yours is giving it to you...I can't get mine to quit eating it. YUCK!!! Shes 2.5 yrs old
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• (gag) lol
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 2:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• teach him it is a rude thing to do in fron tof anyone and only private if he's going to.

did you know that the average adult picks their nose 4x a day, and for those that eat it, it actually gives you an immunity boost! lol seriously. look it up if you dont believe me.

moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• it actually gives you an immunity boost

That is a gross thought but since nasal hair collects allergens, i suppose if you ate it...I can't even think about it!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• HAHA you can't stop it and the bigger deal you make of it, the more he will do it as it gets a reaction (especially in front of your friends, when he would like your attention on him - it works!!) He's only 16 months old -distract, hand him a grape, give him a toy, look for the kitty, where's Daddy? just distract him and he'll stop momentarily -if he's still doing it by highschool you might want to get some help LOL
    Hugs
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Haha awh. I think little kids picking their noses is so cute and funny. Haha so I'm probably not helping your case huh. Just keep redirecting him when he does it. At that age, most kids pick their noses...and adults do too for that matter! Kids are just more open about it and not so discreet. Like someone else said, tell him that its yucky to do and when he see him do it, you don't need to yell or anything like that, just pull his hand away gently and tell him no.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Mines 2 and a half and picking hers too. I try pulling her hand away and saying yucking but she just gets frustrated and goes back to it. I think maybe she's got an itch or something it there that's bothing her since she seems so determined. And she has allergies so it oculd just be her nose is irritated and she doesn't know how to respond.
    Anonymous

• I used this book: The Booger Boogie by The Playdate Kids. It is a musical book with a jazzy beat. Colorfully illustrated and extremely funny. The Booger Boogie is the actual act of using a tissue, so instead of telling my kid not pick, I tell him...let's do the Booger Boogie. It is so much fun! www.theplaydatekids.com
    tmfanning

Answer by tmfanning at 4:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• that's a really good idea tmfanning!
    Anonymous