Does anyone use prepaid debit cards?

I'm thinking of getting the UPside Visa card, does anyone use something similar? How do you like it? Do you have a lot of issues with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• In some cases, a Prepaid Debit Card is better than a bank account. I used to work at Ruby Tuesday and our card was pretty bad. But, from what I hear, it was typical because most cards either have a monthly fee or pretty limited as to the free items.

I have worked at Starbucks for about 7 months now and they allow us to have a card called the "Money Manager Card". The choice was pretty simple because there are no monthly fees, I can use it on their network (allpoint atms) free at all times, never any fees to buy things (signing or using my PIN and getting cash back if I want…all without a fee or surcharge), no overdraft.

Let’s just say I haven’t paid a fee in the entire time I’ve had the card. It’s pretty simple to use it at no charge and I really don’t have to tip-toe around any limited free items like most other cards I have seen have.

Just be careful with your choice...
    JavaSully

Answer by JavaSully at 9:17 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• I was thinking of that too, it seems to be much cheaper than a bank. Can't wait to see some replies.
    Anonymous

• I have had a couple. GreenDot sucked. They took out so many fees it was just not worth it. I have a Direct Visa through my direct insurance. It is pretty good but I don't use it much. I use my Paypal one for everything. I am an EBAY seller. My Paypal card is great and the fees aren't bad.
    Anonymous

• **OP**

I don't have a regular bank account and my local bank (my only option in this VERY rural area) wont accept me because my soon to be ex husband and I filed bankruptcy which cleared just 2 weeks ago.

I'm trying to get a new paypal account too that he does not know about as well as some sort of debit card. It's really a PITA starting from scratch again.
    Anonymous

• My work uses a prepaid AE. It has a set limit that I can use for various supplies each month. It's okay, but I don't deal with anything other than the spending part.
    Anonymous

• A lot of employers are starting to give cards. I use greendot for other stuff. But my work at home business both give cards with their logos, i use those for my outside the home job too to get paid.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I have a greendot card and have had no problems with it so far. It is convenient and easy to use.
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 7:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I use account now. It is prepaid but has a bunch of additional features. There is a monthly fee of $9.95 but you can do online bill pay, direct deposit and they let you borrow money and the interest rate is very low I was surprised. Hope this helps
    Celeste33

Answer by Celeste33 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I use the dollar general prepaid card, it is a normal visa debit card, but you reload it at dollar general and can have direct deposit. only fee is a 2.95 reload fee when you load it at the store. we havent had probs with it and it is convenient for us because we have a dollar general a block away and we do not have a car.
    xxmandyraexx

Answer by xxmandyraexx at 10:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I have a debit card associated with my checking account. I don't pay any fees. In fact, I get points for using my card (I have received two free $50 starbucks gift cards this year)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 AM on Nov. 9, 2009