How can anyone from a peaceful religion not denounce the people who do not act by the tenets of their faith?

For 3 days the Politics section has been filled with crusading Christians demanding Muslims be banned from the military, insisting all Muslims are terrorists, wanting them expelled from the country, etc. Constantly, they demand that other Muslims stand up and denounce extremists. One person did, and the response she got? "you seem so nice, sorry the violent extremists vastly outnumber you"
Where are the good, peaceful Christians denouncing the hatemongers? Why is it every time the Christian hate is pointed out it's called changing the subject instead of pointing out hypocrisy?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i havent been on the PC&E section much this weekend mainly b/c that section is so full of stupid its beyond aggravating. its true that Christians dont like being told they are being hateful (who does?), and every time ive told a Christian they arent being Christ-like ive been told im not a "true Christian". if a Christian isnt even going to listen to another sister in Christ, they arent going to listen to anyone...except for their preacher who is prolly just as hateful as they are.

ive learned that you cant argue w/ stupid b/c no amount of common sense or intelligent reasoning is going to change an idiot's stance. and that goes for all idiots, not just those who happen to be Christians. so yes, sometimes its easier to just ignore the idiot in the room who happens to __ & hope they go away, even tho some other idiot will listen to them & stupidly assume all ppl who are ___ think that same way.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• As a Christian, I agree with you. I don't dislike or hate Muslims, I hate terrorists. Terrorists can come from more than one background and can even be from our own country (Timothy McVeigh).

Anonymous

• I stay away from all of it. Even in the R&B section I see hate from Christians and Muslims.

In this situation I suggest you do what I do and concern yourself with your values. You are not going to change the minds on either side that may or may not agree with you. Make sure YOU can sleep at night. That is nice YOU feel I should be speaking up, but you cannot control my actions, neither is it for you to judge me.

In return I feel I shouldn't judge you or these few tired people who have hammered the same argument on cafemom for over a year now.
    Anonymous

• It is nonsense to assume that religion was a motivation or that all followers of that religion are somehow to blame or too dangerous to be allowed in the military. It is, however, not a new phenomenon. Think of the treatment of Japanese American soldiers in WWII. Not to mention the horrible things said about Asians in general by an uneducated public both during WWII (I won't even bring in the interment camps) & the Vietnam war. On the other hand, it is legitimate to keep in mind that it can be a conflict for soldiers to feel conflict when people like them are the enemy in the conflict. Again we can learn from the Vietnam War where some East Asian soldiers had emotional problems during or after fighting with people they identified with ("looked like me" as one solider put it). But all soldiers should be watched closely for signs of emotional problems because of the nature of the work.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• You obviously like the drama over there because you brought it over here.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 3:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 by: Anonymous
    That is nice YOU feel I should be speaking up, but you cannot control my actions, neither is it for you to judge me.

We all rally around non-judgement, especially in religious issues. But if your words & actions are harmful to our society (like the words mentioned in this question) than we should not only judge "you" but also speak out against those words or actions.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I love you =)

It's been making me sick to my stomach. I know I shouldn't let petty arguments get to me on the internet, but unfortunately I do sometimes. I just want to smack them upside the head, it makes me so mad. They just. Don't. Get it. And if they do, they're too damn proud to admit it. Why is it that SO few Christians rally around us agnostics, atheists, pagans, Muslims, and Jews, but yet nearly ALL of us agnostics, atheists, pagans, Muslims, and Jews defend each other when we're called out by a group of Christians? It can't be a coincidence. Obviously there is some blame and hurt going around and the fingers aren't being pointed at the right people.

Blah!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I guess I will be the unpopular person. Did it ever occur to any of you to ignore the question or the section?

I really don't see this is an international view but if it gets to the point beyond the internet or over zealous people I will speak out. As of now, maybe a nice cup of tea and an internet break would be in order?
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 3:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I have a weird complex where I like to defend those who have no voice. It's an addiction, what can I say LOL.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

So the answer to hate is to ignore it? Guess it worked in Germany.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2009