baby heartrate - is this normal??

so i went in thinking i was in labor last nite. i was having contractions and am dilated to 3 but they said it wasn't strong enuff or regular enuff to keep me. anyway, they gave me coke to drink to wake the baby up and when they did his heartrate shot way up and was going from 119 to 157 randomly in like a ten second span. when his heartrate would level off, it was around the lower 130s, and when i had contractions it would shoot up to the 150s. is all this normal? i'm sorry but i don't really trust this hospital and will probably switch with next pregnancy but am kinda stuck with them for now, so i just wanna make sure this is normal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• completely normal. sometimes it depends where they put the ultrasound pad that relays the heart rate to the machine, to get those weird 119-157 in 10 seconds as you described. lower 130s is baby at rest, 150s-160s will be during contractions. completely normal and do not be anxious about it.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• p.s. feel free to pm me if you want, I worked in high risk OB L&D for about 8 years.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2009