Is there really freedom of religion in a public school?

I heard my daughter tell her sister not to lie because it will make God mad. I wondered where she heard it. We are Cathotholic but I have never said she will make God mad.

After asking her, she said a friend at school. The school is 75% Catholic despite the fact is a public school so I doubt there will much parental complaints. However, I wonder how much freedom of religion our children really have? I wonder if it would be better to open up the God talk to the classroom and not leave it to fear tactics on the playground.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You cannot control what kids are going to say at school! There isn't any way to do that and if you tried you'd be laughed at. It's a public school anyways so everybody has their right to their own opinion. If your daughter says something that you don't agree with, just tell her what is really true about God. You cannot control what other kids are going to say, but you can do your best to instruct your daughter on your beliefs and pray that she adopts them on her own, though that isn't completely within your control, either..., but it's really the only option. TRAIN YOUR CHILD IN THE WAY HE SHOULD GO, AND WHEN HE IS OLD HE WILL NOT DEPART FROM IT. PROVERBS 22:6
    Anonymous

• That would be a good idea, but teachers are not trained to deal with those talks properly & some of them just can't be trusted to. Is there really freedom of religion in schools? That depends on the school of course. But not allowing children to express their religious thoughts in personal conversations at the schools would not be giving them religious freedom.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Teachers are not required to take any sort of religion classes to help them better understand religions not their own. It would be very difficult to open up in the classroom. Someone even if they make up 0.5% of the school, will have the loudest voice. I for one fully support a general religious studies course as a requirement, I know many other Atheists do not.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• There is not supposed to be religion in public schools:

Answer by rkoloms at 4:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Just for the record nysa, I have no desire to make it a rule to not let children talk about their religion. I never said or hinted or even thought we should ban the expression of anyone's religious thoughts in personal conversations at school or any other place for that matter.
    Anonymous

• Religion is not supposed to be taught or Endorsed by the school however children at the school are free to discuss their religious beliefs among one another in their own time (study halls, playground, lunch hour, etc). The only time it would become an issue among the children is if they began to harass others over religious beliefs.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Answered at 4:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 by: Anonymous Just for the record nysa, I have no desire to make it a rule to not let children talk about their religion.

I didn't assume that is what you meant, I was just addressing the issue of your daughter getting info from a classmate.Some parents do want that kind of rule, unfortunately.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• There is not supposed to be religion in public schools... the school has little control over that the kids talk about on the playground. We need to give our kids a good foundation then it doesn't really matter what one kid says to another .... no matter what religion we are.

Anonymous

• yes there is freedom of religion in public schools, but no there's not freedom from religion at the schools...kids will always tell others what beliefs they are taught.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 5:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2009