Am I in over my head?

My son is extremly spoiled; (has to be held by mom constantly when he sees me, has to be held with me standing up for him to eat,cries & cries when I can't pick him up ETC...) We are expecting our second child here in a few weeks and I don't know how he will handle it when she comes. He is Mommy & Daddy's little baby, he gets all of our attention, all the time, maybe too much.

ashnbra1

Asked by ashnbra1 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you have to start now, explain that he'll have to share. and that he's getting a little brother or sister. and that things will just change. and instead of picking him up for everything just let him cry it out and he'll eventually get the point.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Id def get him involved in the preparation of the baby. Let him help put away her clothes and get her room ready. Make him feel like a big brother and include him in everything as much as poss. Id start by not giving in. Redirect his attention when he gets needy. Keep telling him that hes a big boy and a big brother
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• And as momma bear said you have to let him cry it out. make it a slow process though considering you dont want him thinking its only becasue another baby will be in the house
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• CIO is neglecting him and he certainly won't see it any other way. That's NOT what you want with a new baby on the way. Give him all the attention he needs. Just focus on his behavior, reactions to disappointment, and sharing. You're the parent. It's your job to make sure all your children are happy. That means involving both; not distracting one for the other. Remember to be fair and stay positive. Good luck =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• BTW 14mos is still a baby. A baby needing his mother's constant love is not the definition of spoiled.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Okay, if he's that clingy and you make him cry it out, he's going to get MORE clingy. ou can't expect him to want less of you by getting less. You need to discipline each issue separately. He does not need to be standing to eat. Start there. Kids don't starve themselves. Put food on the table every hour or so (to start, get more reasonable later). If he doesn't eat at the table, he does not eat. He will eat at the table, I promise. And when he screams to be held, offer him an alternative. Sit with him on the floor to read a book. Remember he is still a bit of a bab, so cut him a bit of slack, you know?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Definately start not with weening him off the constant attention. No, he will not accept it right away and you might lose your mind while you're weening him. However, it is important, beyond important, for you to start helping him be independent. Just make sure that you keep explaining to him that he is a big boy and can play on his own, eat on his own, etc. That you're right there if he needs you, but he has to do it on his own. Be consistant and don't give in. It'll be better for all of you in the end.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2009