Need to stop nursing my 8 month old - any alternatives to formula?

I'd rather not switch to bottles and formula, but will if I have to. Anything else that I can give him?

lyn141

Asked by lyn141 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just wondering why you have to stop mursing? no only formula or breastmilk till one year
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• I know of no other alternatives. It's a bit early for neither breastmilk or formula unless the baby has no food sensitivities and eats a complete balanced diet of table foods...and for that I'd still not do it without the "ok" of the pediatrician. (ours were switched at 9 months because of the above stated reasons)

Don't go to bottles, though. Go to a sippy cup or straw cup. No reason to do bottles at all.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• They need the nutrients in formula until at least one year of age. But I agree with the girl above, if your little one will take a sippy cup, transition them to that and not a bottle at all
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Thank you for your answers. My problem is that nursing has become so painful. It's not anything like yeast or mastitus or anything like that. It's that he is so rough. Popping on and off, being impatient, sucking so hard, biting. Right now I can bearly get through one feeding without wanting to cry from the pain of it. I'm so bruised. So, I'm thinking that I'm done tonight - cold turkey. I feel so badly about that, but I don't know what else to do. I have some formula, but will need to get him a cup or bottle something. I think I was just thinking about so many transitions for him and avoiding that.
    lyn141

Answer by lyn141 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• dont do cold turkey!1 you can get mastitis like that. have you join any of the brastfeding groups? if you wnat to keep bf let me know. they have alot of good tips about how to stop the baby from biting. for example a very firm no.or if when he bites you say you hurt mommy and out him in his crib for like a minute and then try nursing again. all bf moms go thru this stae. dont give up their is waya to fix the problems if you are willing to learn and listen. you are so close to the one year mark!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Good luck. Tried pumping????
    Anonymous

• That's really no reason to stop. He's just 8mos old. He NEEDS that milk. Call a lactation consultant, join your local La Leche League, and try a breastfeeding group. You just have to work on his nursing manners. It gets better. Continuing and fixing the problem is far better for him than any formula or alternative.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• They all get distracted around that age. Try nursing in a private room with little light. My first was bad with this and I would nurse him in his room with the lights turned down for every nursing session. If you absolutely HAVE to quit then cold turkey is not recommended due to mastitis, but you could try just pumping exclusively for him and giving him pumped milk in a sippy cup. Personally I would try to teach him some manners and try nursing in a dark, quiet, room for awhile. For the biting I was told to pull them INTO you as soon as they bite until they let go and then immediately put them down and don't let them nurse for a few minutes. I did this twice and no longer got bit by either of my children.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Or you could just do what you want to! Formula is not poison! I have an extremely healthy and happy baby boy and he takes Enfamil Premium Lipil. Do what you need to Mom, it's your baby. Don't go through all that pain, and don't beat yourself up about it. At least you got 8 months in! *HUGS*
    Anonymous

• Just so you all know. I am not ignorant of any of this. I'm not a first time mom, I have done this nursing thing before. I have also tried everyone's suggestions. I always feed him in a quiet room, because of the popping off. I am always holding him closer in tight when it feels like he's biting. I've even flicked his cheek when he's bitten me. I feel like I have tried everything. It's not just recently. I've held on for a long time, despite wanting to quite several times. He requires so much that I feel like I'm sore majority of the time. I don't look forward to nursing or like it where as with my daughter I didn't mind it or had any of this trouble. He's a big boy and needs a lot. I have held on this long because I know that bf is the best thing for him, which is really why I was looking for alternatives. I appreciate everyone's feedback though!
    lyn141

Answer by lyn141 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2009